Donald McCaig

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Author of "nop's Trials" and "An American Homeplace" among others died at his Williamsville, Va. farm November 11.He was 78.He was also a trainer of Border Collies and was sometimes on NPRs "All Things Considered".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_McCaig
I had the pleasure of participating on a Border Collie discussion board where Donald was an active, opinionated and outspoken champion of working BC's. His book The Dog Wars chronicled his and other kindred soul's unwavering commitment to prevent the American Kennel Club from officially recognizing these dogs. In the end, AKC had far more "fire power" and won the battle. Its a long and complicated story. Suffice it to say, the AKC registered BC's of today are revered for perfect black & white markings, a thick and luxurious coat...& goes without saying, not an iota of working instinct.

Seems to me I remember reading " Nop's Trials a long time ago. Love to watch a good dog work, but so many are just "half azzed" trained and the resulting offspring are more useless as they get bred and raised as "family pets". That is one breed that really isn't a good "family pet" as they are bred to work. Had a dairy farmer years ago that had one trained to go get the milk cows in for milking and she loved doing it. He got a pup when she got old, so she could "teach him the ropes" and it was amazing how well he learned.

Latest posts