doing something different

Help Support CattleToday:

Seeing that everybody wants to throw there breed of choice at you and not answer your actual question i thought i would give you my advice. When breeding cattle for replacement females you need to look at several different variables.Most importantly is going to be structure and udder quality. It does not matter what segment of the cow calf industry you are in from producing show calves to feeders , you have to have a sound momma. If she cant move she cant eat if she cant eat she wont raise a good calf. udder quality is imortant with replacement heifers because they need to be able to nurse a calf for many years with out assistance.
In terms of epds there are many breeds and they all use different termenology . the most important for replacement heifers is going to be maternal traits. maternal calving ease, maternal milk are both important.
You also are going to want to pay attention to the frame scores of the cows and the bull.Overall you need to produce the right size cattle to fit your program.
When selecting the replacements look for the visual qualitys . femanine fronted, deep body, but most of all feet and legs.

Feminine fronted? :???: I don't mind telling you that's a new one on me. Could you explain (or better yet show me a pic of) what you mean?

Latest posts