Dogs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Saw two black dogs at the back of my pasture. Never seen them before so I drove out to see if they had collars on and to see if they might pose a threat to my cattle but they ran into the woods before I could get a good view of them. That evening I was standing watch over the garden when my friend said there's that black dog again. Not wanting to make the same mistake twice I grabbed some binoculars to get a closer look at "the dog" and found myself looking square in the face of a momma bear. Bears are rare here but not unheard of and I have to say that's the last thing I expected to see. I handed the binoculars to Rossie and asked him to confirm that I wasn't having some Colorado flashback or something. In a moment or so the cub came off her chest and we spent the next half hour watching them mill around the back of the field. Pretty cool business I thought.

We're they eating in the clover field? I've never seen a bear in Florida or Georgia yet. Was Eli with you? I know he's a good deer dog but bears might be a little much.

Jo,
Luckily we have a pretty big bear population here and they only have wreaked havoc on our corn and fruit trees. They may stop and look at you but that's about all you get then they haul azz

wacocowboy":20h6axim said:
Black bear is good eating. Best I ever had was lightly breaded and fried.

I usually put mine in a crock pot but have to keep dumping all the grease off it ... :lol:

Jogeephus":nbmzdjj3 said:
Saw two black dogs at the back of my pasture. Never seen them before so I drove out to see if they had collars on and to see if they might pose a threat to my cattle but they ran into the woods before I could get a good view of them. That evening I was standing watch over the garden when my friend said there's that black dog again. Not wanting to make the same mistake twice I grabbed some binoculars to get a closer look at "the dog" and found myself looking square in the face of a momma bear. Bears are rare here but not unheard of and I have to say that's the last thing I expected to see. I handed the binoculars to Rossie and asked him to confirm that I wasn't having some Colorado flashback or something. In a moment or so the cub came off her chest and we spent the next half hour watching them mill around the back of the field. Pretty cool business I thought.

Glad we gon't have those critters in S. Texas. Jo, are they a threat to your calves?

The black bear population is growing here in GA. One was killed a few months ago on US 129 North not many miles from us. I saw what I thought was a bear that had been killed laying on the side of the road. Then when we got home and heard the news I found out that it was.
Several men from here go down in South GA and hunt bear when the season is in. Some bears came up our way when the fire was burning in the Okefenokee Swamp a few years ago.

HG, they were in the clover field. No threat to the cattle. Eli was with me but he didn't see or wind them. They were 340 yards from me. I normally see a bear about once a year so its pretty rare. I think they are just passing thru. Pretty neat seeing them.

The last one I seen here was over 40 years ago eating out of a roadside litter barrel.
Supposedly restocking them here and have heard of a few sightings.
See signs posted know your target showing a feral hog and a black bear silhouette.

The first blackbear I ate was from dismal swamp and had been living on skunk cabbage. The meat wasn;t fit to eat, my hound wouldn;t even eat it, he would just hoist his leg on it. The second was in washington and had been feeding on berrys, that one was very tasty and the meat didn;t stink at all.

Jogeephus":205dci9f said:
HG, they were in the clover field. No threat to the cattle. Eli was with me but he didn't see or wind them. They were 340 yards from me. I normally see a bear about once a year so its pretty rare. I think they are just passing thru. Pretty neat seeing them.

Just glad you and old John Barleycorn didn't go down and try to put a collar on those wild dogs.

TexasBred":3epj7hf9 said:
Jogeephus":3epj7hf9 said:

Just glad you and old John Barleycorn didn't go down and try to put a collar on those wild dogs.

They say white men can't jump but rest assured this white man can run like the wind when he has a good reason to. ;-)

I've only had bear once when I worked prisoners in the Okefenokee swamp. A poacher shot one out of season and it was confiscated and we asked the prisoners if they wanted to have a BBQ. They were game because anything had to be better than the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches they got for lunch. Apparently they were wrong and most ended up eating their sandwiches. (granted none of us had ever cooked a bear and didn't know what we were doing. Just terribly greasy and strong)

We have some here on my property on the outskirts of Houston . I worry what will happen to em as I sale my property off to the city folks

With bear, timing is everything. you have to get them when they've been eating good stuff... Around here it's fall time when they've been eating apples.. not spring/summer after eating salmon.

bear fat make the BEST lard bar none for making the flakiest pastries.... also works very well as a leather preservative.

I had bear ribs from a 2 year old bear in the fall.. barbequed on the hibachi... 25 years later I still haven't had any better ribs.

Skinning a bear isn't for the faint of heart however, they look like humans without skin, the muscling is very similar.

I have a big black bear eating dandelions.. seems to be an older one, I never see it just it's 'tracks' (and the reason I know it's been eating dandelions).. he better screw off if he knows what's good for him.

Here they are.

11068330_765922193526433_4736684624636124112_n.jpg

Latest posts