dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

farmermike":wvlwof0e said:
a friend of mine has a rott, and when his kid (4 years) had a toothache, and had to see the dentist, the dog wouldn't leave the kid. it got to the point where they took the dog to dentist with the kid. scared the hell out of the dentist, but showes how attached this dog was to the kid.

That's one of the advantages to Rotts. they're so intimidating (looking). Properly raised they are almost too affectionate but a little training will teach them to not climb all over you. I bred cows for a Rott breeder that would turn the dogs out to help bring up the cows. They had never been trained to herd but did a fair job until one of the cows would start to run and kick up their heels. Then the dogs turned to giant goofballs and started running around in circles and would scatter the cows all over the pasture. They were orignally bred as a droving dog so unless all of the instincts have been bred out of them I would thnk they could be trained to drove but not maybe not herd in the usual sense.
I almost wish I had a need for a big dog for this place, I'ld love to have one of them.

dun

well i bought a puppy yesterday/ thanks for all yall input. i ended up getting a border collie /australian shpherd/ blue heeler cross/ she looks like a border collie but has the shoter hair and texture of a heelr with a few black spots on the white part of her coat. she has one black eye and one blue eye. she seems to be a great dog. her parents were farm dogs and woked cows a littel and were also pets so i think i will be satisfied. thanks tommy

cattletom":3k8md6i5 said:
well i bought a puppy yesterday/ thanks for all yall input. i ended up getting a border collie /australian shpherd/ blue heeler cross/ she looks like a border collie but has the shoter hair and texture of a heelr with a few black spots on the white part of her coat. she has one black eye and one blue eye. she seems to be a great dog. her parents were farm dogs and woked cows a littel and were also pets so i think i will be satisfied. thanks tommy

Sounds like a good dog. Mutts are usually the best dispositions in my opinion. Used to have a Lab/Shepherd cross that you could have beaten with an axe handle and she'd still come to you with her tail wagging. Don't tolerate your dog chasing cars. That's been my most negative experience with herding dogs.

I agree, Mutts -- or "hybred" dogs are the best. They have longevity and less health issues than some purebreds. Consider them the "Balancer" of the canine world.

Last year after my beloved rotty died I looked for months to find a dog that could fill her paws, sort of speak. I needed a dog that could become a certified Therapy Dog, a cow dog, watchdog, rat/mole dog, be social with all other dogs/cats/kids etc, be a quick learner, enjoy active sports and be flexable in every different kind of situation. And not be 90 lbs. Not much to ask.....

Much dog shopping later,
I adopted an 11 month old dog, from North Carolina--sight unseen-- that I saw on:

http://www.petfinder.com

She looked like a border collie and appeared to be 65 lbs from the photo I saw. She came up in a truck load of 150+ other death row dogs from the south.

Turned out her mother was a tiny Rotty/Jack Russell mix and her dad was a Sheltie/Border collie mix. All in a 27 lb package, already spayed, vaccinated and treated for HW.

She has exceeded all expectations.

tod, i meant i'm going against what someone else wrote about big dogs not being good for kids. my fingers just couldn't keep up with my brain. i'm all for big dogs. i don't want something i'm going to step on later and squash. my bad all.

cowgirl580":389ntwez said:
tod, i meant i'm going against what someone else wrote about big dogs not being good for kids. my fingers just couldn't keep up with my brain. i'm all for big dogs. i don't want something i'm going to step on later and squash. my bad all.

Not a problem. A kid I went to school with had one of those dogs. About scared the pee out of me when that thing came running down the hill at me barking the whole time. Very pleasant dog to be around once it got to me and just wanted to be petted. They are definitely not a small dog.

Latest posts