Dogs and hotel rooms, pet peeve

Help Support CattleToday:

Does it bother you to sleep in a Hotel that allows dogs in the room?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alan

Reaction score
I recently stayed in a hotel for 4 nights. I didn't realize the hotel was pet freindly, I hate the thought of sleeping where someone elses flea covered, wormy mutt slept. There was even a guy who thought it was cute to let his two mutts run around the breakfast area, off leash, and nose everyones plates. Oh how cute! :mad: :mad: More and more hotels seem to becoming pet freindly, I for one just don't understand it.

My wife and I have a Lab and an Akita, they are inside dogs. But they are not allowed in our bedroom and not allowed on the furniture. The Lab makes up for it by hogging the floor space in front of the wood stove.

Alan

As a hotel owner I'll give you my perspective. At the Millstream we allow pets but charge an additional $50.00 per stay for the additional cleaning. Bedspreads get washed and room is cleaned a bit differently than usual. Also, pets are NOT allowed in the lobby when we are serving food.

I guess some people are just more tolerant of pets than others. It is up to the hotel owners to set and enforce any pet policies they have in place.

I have a mini daschund that I bring the the hotel every day. She is a big hit as I would say 90% of the people that see her have to bend down and pet her. http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser=4844

I have taken the dogs with me and stayed at motels with them. They are not allowed on the furniture at home so they are not allowed on the furniture at a motel. I would think that it was be against the health dept. rules to allow them in where food is served. People who allow their pets (or kids for that matter) to run loose and uncontrolled are just too rude (or ignorant) to be allowed in public.

Chris

ffscj":2souawzz said:
I have taken the dogs with me and stayed at motels with them. They are not allowed on the furniture at home so they are not allowed on the furniture at a motel. I would think that it was be against the health dept. rules to allow them in where food is served. People who allow their pets (or kids for that matter) to run loose and uncontrolled are just too rude (or ignorant) to be allowed in public.

Chris

Hear hear, I agree entirely. I like dogs, but I dont let mine nose my plate and run around uncontrolled and Im certainly not going to stand for yours doing it to me.

Kids as well. The only differnce being I probably wont smack your kid for you, but sometimes a tongue lashing will do the trick as well.

Anybody see the hidden camera segment on one of those reality shows were they sent a kid into a resteraunt to missbehave on purpose. The kid was completely obnoxious. All the adults ignored it. Finally a little girl about 8 or 9 from another table, went over to him, sat him down in his chair and gave him the business. He said something back and she showed her fist to him. He shut up and she went back to her table, sat down and continued her meal. Good for her, shes going to make a good parent someday.

When we sit at the table with food, our dogs know to get up and leave our sight until we are cleaning the kitchen. Sometimes they aren't allowed back until we're done with that. Our lab spends 90% of his life outside, but when he's in, he knows the rules.

Most states health departments require additional cleaning and flea control if the hotel allows pets, so I really don't worry about it.

Wife stayed in a motel once that someone brought their monkey into the pool with them. She went to the office and complained. the girl got mad because she was told to get the monkey out and stay out. Family was done swimming in that pool. :mad: she still got to keep the monkey in her room. :x

There are some hotels that handle this by having pet and no pet rooms.. kind of like smoking and non smoking. We have had dogs in a hotel room before. They sleep on the floor, just like at home and are probably less annoying than the kids next door half the time, lol. but this Hotel only had 2 or 3 rooms they allowed pets in and it was a costly add on. Been since summer of 99 since we did that though so who knows that the hotel is doing now.. Also that being said, we generally got to the hotel at 9pm with the dogs, took them for walks, cleaned up after them, and were on the road by 7am, no hanging out in the hotel breakfast area with them.

I have no problem with pets in the room. I'm sure most of them aren't "flea covered, wormy mutts". If it's a decent motel the rooms will be as clean as possible, even if a dog or some filthy scumbag who never bathes slept there before me. Pets in an eating area or pool would be another story.

When we had to go to the motel after the tornado took out our electricity, I called around until I found a motel that took pets. We were still under a tornado watch and I wasn't about to leave my dogs at home...not after the tornado exploded our barn. I'm just thankful we found that motel.

Alice

Have never stayed in a hotel where pets are allowed, not sure how I would feel if some elses dog had been on a bed I had to sleep in.

one thing that bugs me is when you have to take one of your pets to the vets, and Dog owners think it is cute for their dog to wonder over and slobber all over you :mad: , they may like the thing but I don't. I keep my pet with me and don't disturb anyone with it, so leave me alone. sorry for the vent, but had a big Boxer dog dribble all over me the other day, and I hate them things. :mad:

Well, We travel with two black labs, stay in motels. The dogs are cleaner than lots of humans. We ask at the motel office "are you dog friendly"? Most places that are dog friendly charge more, Another way of making money. :roll: We have a dog blanket with us, spread it out on the floor, the dogs are never a problem. 8)

Alice,

A tornado is a different story, I would never gripe at somthing like that.

Chrisy,

I agree, we are on the same page, just because you may love your dog doesn't mean I do. Keep it on a leash!

VanC,

Are you really sure they are clean (not flea covered wormey mutts)? Every dog on the bed in the room you rent... are you sure?

mnmtranching,

How can I be sure your dogs (or anyone elses) :D have never been on the bed I'm about to sleep in? And they are flea free and parasite free?

Just a gripe, someone already mentioned that the only way to fix this for me is to have pet free rooms, same as smoking. I love dogs! ... just not yours! :D

Alan

Alan":65i2me5c said:
Alice,

A tornado is a different story, I would never gripe at somthing like that.

Alan

Bless your heart...you are "good folks." :)

Alice

Alan":115p8ok1 said:
I didn't realize the hotel was pet freindly, I hate the thought of sleeping where someone elses flea covered, wormy mutt slept.
Alan

Ok, so you learned to ask if they are pet-friendly or not, lest they offend your delicate sensibilities. :roll: :roll: My dogs DO sleep in my bed with me, ARE allowed on the furniture, are NOT allowed to beg, are NOT allowed to even look at my plate, much less nose it or help themselves - in fact, they know that is the quickest way to get kicked out into their pen that there is, are NOT allowed to run around and create havoc, and DO have manners - at least most of the time, are NOT wormy, and are NOT flea (or tick) infested. In the greater scheme of things, it seems to me you could have found something a little more meaningful to get all bent out of shape about, but maybe that's just me.

Well said Msscamp... We too allow our "inside" dog to sit on the couch or recliner with us, as well as sleeps at the foot of my daughters bed each night. Our inside dog does not beg for food, neither whines or cries when we eat, or it too would find itself thrown out. My wife grooms it weekly, and it is kept very clean. Now with that said, I would not go so far as to say it is cleaner than humans... I always know where dogs sniff, and lick, as well as what they try to eat if left outside to venture for long periods of time. That is precisely why I dont understand why some people kiss their dogs... knowing where their mouth has been.. :shock:

There is a big difference between a "rat hole" hotel that accepts pets and a decent, clean one that does. I know for a fact that some people that sleep in hotels are dirtier and bathe less frequently than my dog. Guaranteed. :shock:

Well you guys have convinced me to never stay in a motel again. Not just because of the dogs, but the people too. :eek: :shock: And you forgot cats {I hate cats}!

millstreaminn":3tx2y2kn said:
As a hotel owner I'll give you my perspective. At the Millstream we allow pets but charge an additional $50.00 per stay for the additional cleaning. Bedspreads get washed and room is cleaned a bit differently than usual.
I have always (well a lot anyway) wondered about those bedspreads... I know that most hotels/motels will change the sheets daily, unless you have a special request in to leave them... But how often do you change the bedspreads??? I know that I use them as an extra covering when I sleep and I would think that they could be subject to the same bodily contact as sheets.
But keeping in theme with this thread, how are your cleaning procedures different from pet owners and non-pet owners??

how do you know that the person that slept in that motel bed the night before did not have lice, fleas or some other parasite?
i agree that dogs should not be allowed on the bed but i know some dogs that are cleaner and better mannered than a lot of so called human beings

Latest posts