Does anyone

Help Support CattleToday:

Mbell97

Reaction score
My dad and I are planning on getting into the cattle business a tiny bit come spring and was wondering if any of you buy in early spring and sell in the fall to avoid having to winter anthing? We have 23 acres that hasn't been used for anything and my dad needs the ag exempt. tax break. The 23 acres is great land we just need to do a little grass work on it. We are only going to start with 5 calves which I think should still give us plenty of land for grazing. If you do this any tips or advice you can share will be very appreciative.

2 hours north of Dallas TX along the Red River. Sorry forgot to put that in the post!

You will do fine. The only thing about your plan is you will be buying when calves are high (spring) and selling when they are low (fall) but if you manage your grass and stay around 10-15 head (depending on grass) you will be fine. Not going to make much if anything on 5-15 head any way.

Isomade,
Right now the main thing is keeping my dads ag exempt status, and hopefully learning enough to one day run a lot more on our 100 acres. Things are set up perfectly for 23 acres (fence, water, etc.) so this is mainly a learning process for us. If we can get our rye grass up and the weather cooperates we may but in late Jan. when they are still down a little. Any tips? thanks for your input.

Have a friend or someone you trust to show you what to look for or even to buy for you till you know what you are looking for. Get in contact with your county extension agent, he can help with grass management and a good feed program. Find a good vet that can help you with a vaccination program. Watch them close for a week or two for scours, and other illnesses. I prefer to market my calves by the 15th of August, just before the market gets flooded and prices drop.

If I were you, I would start with older cows that are heavy bred. Maybe 3 Short Solid cows that are heavy bred to calf in early spring. If you buy young calfs, there is no telling if they are wild or not. If you are a newbie and have a couple wild calves, that is a big headache. Usually older cows have been through the ringer a couple times and no the sound of a feed bucket etc. and they usually respect fences. Wild calves will not, they will run right through them.
Keep the cows for 6-9 months then sale them back as weigh cows and keep their calves(if they are good calves.) This might even make you more money than buying/selling calves.
Also, make sure you have a good corral sytem as well. Especially if you go the calf experience. They will do anything in their power sometimes to avoid being cornered.

Mbell97":2kfufwxq said:
Right now the main thing is keeping my dads ag exempt status.

Sorry, but I don't think this is a good reason to buy calves.

Mbell97":2kfufwxq said:
hopefully learning enough to one day run a lot more on our 100 acres. Things are set up perfectly for 23 acres (fence, water, etc.) so this is mainly a learning process for us.

This is a smart approach! Learn with a little then expand and get bigger.

The bad thing is that there is so much "knowdledge" that's required to be successful, it's hard to say where to start. I agree with Isomade in that a mentor is probably your best bet.I would read as much as possible, go to the local stockyard and watch, sign up for any possible classes (like a Master cattleman's class) and learn as much as I could BEFORE getting any animal.

I also think that ScottyB's suggestion of getting cows is much better than buying calves. Heck, if your main goal is to learn and keep your dad's ag extension, I would just buy older open cows. I wouldn't even want a bull or anything bred until you've learned the basics. With just a few open cows you will learn; most likely the older cows will show you they way ;-)

You are trying to mechandise your grass. I would get some one to buy you some thin, long tailed heifers weighing around 500 lbs in late January. Buy enough hay to get you to green grass. Plan on selling late July or early August. You can make a late cutting of hay next fall and be ready to plant ryegrass and start over about this time next year.

I don't know what your ag expemts rules are there but here its $1000 income (not profit).
Best and easiest way to do that here is to buy 2-3 large(1000lb) thin cows (low yield) at a local sale or off neighbors. Check their teeth if they are gone , resell (if you don't have a TMR to feed them or very long grass). Keep them till they would sell high yield and sell them directly to a processor if you can or take them back to the sale.
I would also palpate them when I bought them and resell/trade anything that had a large calf in her to a neighbor. No point in getting into calving a thin cow, just to make your ag exempt.
Put them on Good grass or throw a little feed at them and you could be in and out in 120 days. And you stand to make a few bucks most of the time.

In Texas, the ag.use exemption states that the land needs to be used to its fullest use. Every county appraisal district looks at that differently. Some require a set number of animals and others allow flexibility for proper grazing management.

I still think a thin, long tailed yearling heifer weighing around 500 bought late December or early January is the way to go. Just maintain them with hay and enough protein to make it until green grass puts up. Sell in late July or early August weighing 725 to 750. If markets hold they should make around a $100+ a head for merchandising your grass and you have met the appraisal districts requirements.

Alot of people here would be in trouble if the land had to be used to its fullest use :)
I hate to see stricter rules here(the $1000 dollar is pretty cut and dried) but what some people are getting away with calling farming is ridiculous.

This is what the law says, "To qualify for an "agricultural or timber productivity" valuation, the land must meet standards of "degree of intensity of use" set by the local appraisal district. These standards are based on the "typical" degree of intensive use within the appraisal district. The standards vary
among counties because agricultural resources and uses differ across Texas".

Grazing 5 to 8 heifers on 23 acres would work in this county, I don't know about the county where Mbell is located.

Latest posts