Does anyone remember?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Lots of people used to put yokes on cows. It was a big forked stick (like a big slingshot) that hung underneath a cows neck and the forks above the neck tied together to keep her from getting out through the fence?

Neighbor still does it with his goats...................kinda funny watching a few goats out along the roadside eating grass with the yokes on...................needless to say....didn't work for him. :cboy:

Yes, I remember seeing cows with yokes on them growing up. I didn't know what the contraption was called, though.

I have seen them on goats. Hear stories of them on cows. I would think if you need one now days those " weaners" would take there place.

Scotty

Yep I remember them well. And When those new fangled electrified fences came out you would hang a chain from the bulls neck.

seen tires around their necks, cows dragging wooden fence posts tied to a chain around their neck (they learn to straddle and walk fine), and the best one was a log chain with a couple weights from the dumbells.

All things considered, wouldn't it be easier and better in the long run to just sell the fence crawlers? :???:

Beefy":2mp1uxzi said:
are cows not supposed to get out?

No! That answer is, of course, assuming (always dangerous) that the owner has put up proper fencing. ;-)

Beefy":3fz7be67 said:
proper fencing and propped up fencing is the same thing, right?

I'm thinking that depends on how well your cows are trained! ;-) I don't think so! :lol: :lol: