Does anyone like Appaloosa Horses?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sparky-TN

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am very new to horses, I bought what appeared to be a very gentle Appaloosa mare. I brought her home, and she has been uncontrollable ever since. I try to tie to a tree to brush her and she will break a lead rope snap. :roll:
She bullies the calves around not letting them eat unless I keep her away from them. I have tried to sell her but no-one wants her! Help, :help: what should I do?

Sparky-TN":3kevhzu7 said:
I try to tie to a tree to brush her and she will break a lead rope snap. :roll:

Two suggestions here.

1. Go get one of those halters that has the knots on it. Those are supposed to hit the pressure points when she pulls back. Then add a bull snap to an inch around rope.

2. Stick with the current tack but, get a "neck rope". You can get one at any feed store. Cattle show folk use them as additional tie ropes for the cows at the fairs. It has a snap and a loop.
Put that neck rope on the horse and tie it short enough that she will hit the end of the neck rope BEFORE she hits the end of the lead. This way she will nearly have to pop her own head off to get away. And trust me, she won't do that.

even better, combine 1 and 2. I do this with draft colts. Might seem a little harsh, but it's better than you getting hurt.

Does seem like she may be a bit spoiled. How old is she? Do you have any back ground on her at all?

we had an appy mare act similar. the final straw was when one of my friends was riding on her and she rared over on her. she was gone by the next week. my dad bought her for my mom with the understanding she was gentle. gentle my rear end! ne way. my mom isn't a very experienced rider at all. so that horse didn't work for her. muratic's suggestions have a lot of merit.

Yeah I think she is spoiled. Actually I think, she saw from the start I was not a horseman, And she has got me buffaloed. Her previous owner's small children supposedly rode her. 10yr olds????????? I don't know, but there she was all alone in a small lot maybe 100 by 100ft. Here is she running on 10 acres.and she thinks she is the Queen.
She is 12 yrs old.

This is one problem with appy's, in my opinion, some good ones, just as all breeds have some bad ones. But seems to me Appy's seem to be a bit more stuborn (evil). Not trying to start an argument but I have to disagree with the post that said to use the halter with knots in it (natural horseman halter) and the double up the halter with a neck rope type halter. You want something to give, not the neck muscles or risk a pole injury (horses pole).

I would get a car inner tube or a couple of bike inner tubes, deflated, tie them high on the stout tree and tie the lead rope to the inner tube, this to take some of the tension of the pulling. Use a slip knot for quick release if needed. Then get a lunge whip or long willow branch and give yourself lots of escape room. Tie her stand in back and to the side of her, so not to get kicked, and smack her lightly than harder when she pulls back, remember not to let yourself get mad, you need to quit smacking her the second she steps forward. Stay away from the kicking parts. You want a slip knot in case she goes stupid and goes down, but the inner tubes will stretch quit a bit. Your giving her negitive reinforcment for negitive actions, remember to give her positive reinforcment for postive actions.

JMO
Alan

Something we think may work well (but haven't tried ourselves yet) is the Aussie Tie Ring. I've seen a couple of horse trainers use this. They generally recommend a 15 foot lead rope. There are various ways of fastening the lead rope to the tie ring to allow more, or less, tension when the lead rope plays out if the horse pulls back.

I've also seen this device for a wide range of prices on the net.

http://tinyurl.com/aunlx

Sorry folks - far as I am concerned all the answers are wrong here.

This is a newbie to horses and she has more than she can handle.

If she cannot get this worked out by a pro, she should simply bite the bullet and ship it.

This is a disaster in the making.

Lots of ways to buy a horse - but too many go to the romantic side of life with the ponies.

This animal gets a pro to do the work, goes to the plant for slaughter or goes to someone who might want it. Looks like the last option is not a player. So it is one of the other two.

I would not wait on the options - just do it. An expensive lesson has been learned - but no one is injured - YET.

Bez

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am planning on getting rid of her. Surely there is someone who is experienced with the Appaloosa breed, that would love to have a beautiful mare at a great bargain!!!!!! I would appreciate any help selling this mare and finding her a good home. She is a gorgeous animal,solid color brown, who loves to be fed carrots. Thanks Again.
Sparky

I tend to agree with Bez BUT

Question: Do you know how to tie a "Bolin Knot" or can you find someone to teach you.

If I had this horse I'd - Run the rope throught the halter and tie a bolin knot arond her neck - "No Snaps"

tie the lead end of your rope to some thing solid but up about 6'or7' high

I have a 5' Though Oak Tree - the Snubing Tree has educated a lot of horses and never moved in 100;s of years - There is a rope hanging down from one 10' high limb - we tie some bad horses and Cattle to the end of that rope - horses can't pull back on this rope beacuse of it hight.

For added spring on our rope dad has tied an old tire inter-tube in the center of the rope tied to the tree

Limb ->rope->inter-tube->rope-|Knot|-Tie rope->through halter ->knot around horses neck

Tie the horse so it can just reach hay and water and leave it there until It-Pulls-Bank-No-More

I am not to keen on them tonight,tried to get a cow of a thing going today ,heaps of going backwards fast with no preasure on its mouth.Likes rearing and a bit of buck,got it going in the end but I am mid fourties and dont particularly feel like fighting with it.Supposed to be quiet for my nervous daughter but my chances of getting her on it are buckleys and none.I have been riding for fourty years including young stock but it seems their comes a time when you get a bit sick of trying to fix horses that other people have ruined.I have seen some great Appaloosas in fact my mother who is seventy rides a four year old palamino appy around her cows and he is a mighty fine big horse.Funny thing i havent fallen of a horse for twentyseven years but i keep falling up the back step.

Good advice but now as soon as i try to put a lead rope on her, she pulls away and I cant catch her. :oops:

Sparky-TN":360omwcu said:
Good advice but now as soon as i try to put a lead rope on her, she pulls away and I cant catch her. :oops:

This horse needs to go back to square one in her training. That means groundwork with a good trainer. I know that means $$ invested but it's what needs to be done.

You can't start in the middle of the problem and try to fix it. You have to start with the very basics in training (meaning round pen groundwork) and progress through the steps. She may progress very rapidly through certain steps, but need more work on certain ones. It's the only way to "cure" her. The fact that she is unwilling to be caught means she does not repect you as her herd leader. With remedial training, she will find that misbehavior means work and good behavior means reward. I don't mean reward as in treats - I mean reward as in being allowed to stand quietly and relax.

Sparky-TN":29a0x4c4 said:
Hello everybody, I am very new to horses, I bought what appeared to be a very gentle Appaloosa mare. I brought her home, and she has been uncontrollable ever since. I try to tie to a tree to brush her and she will break a lead rope snap. :roll:
She bullies the calves around not letting them eat unless I keep her away from them. I have tried to sell her but no-one wants her! Help, :help: what should I do?

Good advice but now as soon as i try to put a lead rope on her, she pulls away and I cant catch her.

If you plan to keep this horse, get a trainer for you and it, because if you can't keep the horse "tuned" it will go back to the same habits, plus your habits could unknowningly cause some of the problems. I would ship it and get a better trained animal.

Alan

Thought I would mention that the problems you are having with your horse are quite likely the problems you will have with the next horse you buy unless you are just plain lucky next time. Any horse will bully or steal feed from calves if you are feeding the calves (or is she running the calves for fun, no food involved?). Either she has learned to break tie ropes in the past, or she learned more recently when you tied her to the tree, but her pulling back and running from you when you try to get hold of her is the same trick. First thing I would do is put her back into a small pen so she is no longer "Queen of Cows". She is probably just a smart horse that knows she's got your number. Five minutes with a trainer (or even her previous owner) and I'd bet she would be as good as gold. For the trainer or the old owner, but maybe not for you. Some horses are babysitters (you could plunk a sack of spuds on their back and they'd take it for a nice trail ride) most horses require the spuds to have some knowledge of horse handling. And any horse can hurt you, even the babysitter. I think you should attend some clinics or take some lessons, not just for riding but for handling.

Well I think it's time to put my two cents in. First of all I don't think "she will be as good as gold" after five minutes. I go by the saying, its hard to teach an old dog new tricks, same concept. That horse should have been taught some manners in the first few years of her life. No matter how much money you loose, get rid of her, you're going to spend alot more on docter bills if you keep her. Next horse, find someone who knows horses to go with you. It will probably take a few horses before you find the right one. KaneRanch ;-)

Years ago I bought a Appy for a bargin price. Put him under saddle and went about 200 yards and he just folded up under me and fell down. We both jumped up and started off again same thing happened. Great thing about this horse, he was easy to load and straight to sale barn he went.

I am beginning to believe no one here likes Appaloosas. :shock: :eek: ;-) . Anyway I have now gotten rid of the horse. That's right, she is out of here. Gone, :D but not forgotten!! :D Gave her to my father in law!! ;-) ;-) :cboy: Thanks for all the great advice.

no one likes appaloosas. they are pretty to look at but so were my exgirlfriends.

Latest posts