Does anyone know the English word for this job?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lijntje

Reaction score
I'm a Dutch translator working on a text about the rise of artificial insemination, and it mentions a 'bulloper', literally a person 'walking the bull', so someone who took his bull to visit neighbouring farmers and service the cows (in pre-AI times). I have difficulty finding the term for the English equivalent of this job. Does anyone know what such a person was called in English?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Lijntje

I don't know if there is a specific term. The person who would've done this here would've probably simply been called a "farmer". Only other terms is can think of that would be close are maybe "bull walker" or "bull handler". Sorry I can't be of more help.

Would the person leading the bull be referred to as a "handler" or "herdsman" maybe "bull owner" ? Maybe "farm hand" or "hired hand"?
I have never known of a specific term used for that particular task.

Most people in my area would call him a "Bull Man", and would say "Call the Bull Man and see if he has any available",but I don't know if that would translate well. :lol:

Lijntje":204yvo1x said:
I'm a Dutch translator working on a text about the rise of artificial insemination, and it mentions a 'bulloper', literally a person 'walking the bull', so someone who took his bull to visit neighbouring farmers and service the cows (in pre-AI times). I have difficulty finding the term for the English equivalent of this job. Does anyone know what such a person was called in English?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Lijntje
I have no idea. My dad and most of the other folks in town always took the cow to the bull. (Only bull in town I think). Very happy old herford.

JMJ Farms":1ouj0e94 said:
Bull pimp?
That or gigolo would be about right. But since the OP hasn;t been back I guess it's just not that important.

I have never led a bull to a cow but I know if you lead a hot cow away from a bull you will wind up with a very tired bull, kids :roll:

Cabo":aebipar1 said:
I have never led a bull to a cow but I know if you lead a hot cow away from a bull you will wind up with a very tired bull, kids :roll:
Some years ago when the vet had his cows here to board, one of them escaped and tried to get home. Never did figure out how she got a mile from here through mutliple fences. Anyway, our bull followed her. We tried to trailer them but she wasn;t having any of that in the middle of a pasture. BIggest problem was the neighbors dairy herd which is where they ended up. Those dairy cows got spun up and kept running in circles and of course that got ours spun up. Ended up putting a halter on her, the vet sitting in the back of the mule leading her and me driving. When we got to a fence I'ld cut it and drive through then fix it behind us. A little over a mile and the goofy bull just followed her all the way home. She was bred but he had fallen in love with her apparently when he ran out of cows to breed.

Thanks a lot for all your responses! I'll go for bull-keeper then.

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts