Does any body raise chickens

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds":3ush100a said:
Curt do you plan to get the broad breasted or standard bronze?
The broad breasted ones cannot mate naturally while the standards can, just letting you know in case you plan to breed them. Get them around April to May, but no later especially if you plan on Thanksgiving dinner. ;-)
I raise and sell fresh turkeys for $15.00 a piece and smoked ones for $30.00 a piece. May have to raise my price on the fresh ones though.
Do not feed them corn it will cause them to go blind.
Standerd we want to breed them.

VtMapleGal":2fx3aawx said:
I purchased them through the local feed store, and told the feed store of my problem. The hatchery wouldnt stand behind them they said, but they would credit me for the price of them, which i thought was nice of them. It wasnt thier fault. The problem is that i had already raised them for months before we could tell who was males and females. Where do people get thier chicks from on here? Does anyone order from the hatchery direct?
Murray McMurray Hatcheries. I have never had them get sexed wrong, never lost a chick ~ they all come healthy. Always they throw a couple extras, and their selection is huge.

Every year when I get a catalog in the mail I always think twice ,,maybe this year. But then someone comes up wth a brighter idea, that instead of a raising a few for us to eat,,get more and raise/butcher and sell them.. Then you should raise some for eggs because we love farm fresh eggs ,,blah, blah, blah..So I just put the idea out of my head. Parents come up with the most wonderful ideas when they are not around to help out..
I still remember the time they convinced me to put in a huge garden ,,,after giving away veggies to neighbors and filling all my freezers I still had to throw tonne out.. Never again... 8)

Maybe one day I will go for it..Is there a Storeys guide for raising chickens ???

My grandson is wanting to raise some chickens for some reason. He mainly wants to feed them and collect eggs. That's fine with me but I want something easy keeping because I don't figure it will take long for the novelty to wear off. I've got lots of trees around they can roost in but I'm worried about hawks and falcons. We have at least one resident Redtail Hawk and probably more on the farm as well as some smaller birds of prey that I believe are some type of falcon. I'm guessing I would need a covered coop etc to keep the mortality rate from being terminal. Any suggestions otherwise? Also what is a nice friendly easy to keep breed that lays nice eggs?

spoon":1n0ocs1f said:
Any suggestions otherwise?
No. I am guessing they will disappear without someplace to go into at night. There are a gazillion coop ideas and plans on line. It does not need to be anything too fancy.

Also what is a nice friendly easy to keep breed that lays nice eggs?
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/categor ... ayers.html
The web site above shows white egg layers. I raise setting hens (and picked most of them based on "pretty") so I don't have too much experience with layers. My hens drop WAY down in production in the winter but go like gang busters April through September. I know chickens provided with artificial light in the winter months will continue to lay fairly well. Maybe you don't want to buy day old chicks and would as soon have adult ones ~ but this will give you an idea.

I have some game chickens that came with the place. I throw them scratch ever day. I had laying hens but got rid of most of them. I may order more here soon. I got tired of taking care of them. Nasty things.

spoon I really like the Turken breed, now if you want "pretty" there are others, but for laying I would go with the Turken.
Now they do get broody and are extremely nasty when they are with their chicks, but those chickens lay some really good sized brown eggs.
Had one that fought a turkey for a nest of eggs the turkey laid. The turkey lost that fight and that crazy chicken covered all 13 eggs and hatched them all out. Pretty funny watching her run around the yard with those little turkeys following her. No cat dared to get near them, she would chase them pecking them the whole time. :lol2:

I like my silver laced wyndottes. They can fly pritty well, and are great layers of large eggs. My chickens are laying well (i get 6-8 eggs a day from 8 hens). They are also beautiful. For great fliers i would get bantams, but their eggs are pritty small.

Thanks Angie for the link and info and thanks to everyone else who chimed in as well.

Edited to add, my grandsons idea of a chicken is Foghorn Leghorn. :lol:

i have a handful of chickens (29). last year at this time i had 4.

I would really love to raise some chickens, they are a great way to clean up bugs and stuff and farm eggs are the way to go..but they give me the heebie jeebies!! When I was three I was visiting my grandmother and her big old rooster attacked me. I used to housesit for my neighbors and had to take care of their chickens. One of them flew right at me when I opened the coop door and escaped and I had to chase her around and around!! I just don't have a good history with chickens :oops: :oops:

We raise chickens (Conchins, Buff Orphingtons, Barred Rocks, White leghorns, Brown Leghorns, bantys) also raise about 50-60 guineas. I love watching those guineas chase each other around.. always makes me wonder how they keep it up for seems like hours, and hours, and not just fall over from exhaustion? :lol2:

I have mostly Ameracauna chickens, you know the easter egg layers. I've also had quite a few other breeds as well. I keep mine mostly for eggs, but I"m looking into getting some meat chickens to butcher this year.

spoon":38r1wt41 said:
My grandson is wanting to raise some chickens for some reason. He mainly wants to feed them and collect eggs. That's fine with me but I want something easy keeping because I don't figure it will take long for the novelty to wear off. I've got lots of trees around they can roost in but I'm worried about hawks and falcons. We have at least one resident Redtail Hawk and probably more on the farm as well as some smaller birds of prey that I believe are some type of falcon. I'm guessing I would need a covered coop etc to keep the mortality rate from being terminal. Any suggestions otherwise? Also what is a nice friendly easy to keep breed that lays nice eggs?
Try Buff orpingtons the lay great. Mine are so tame I can just walk up to them and pick them.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We're looking forward to ordering some this spring.

spoon":2zwlo777 said:
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We're looking forward to ordering some this spring.

The eggs aren't big, but for tame, you can't beat Silkies. They make good pets, too. You can carry them around like kids. They need a coop, though, cause feather footed varieties don't range well. When I got mine, I was told to order at least five at a time because they cuddle close together at night for warmth. They do, too. But I could walk up to mine on the nest, just raise them up and check under them. They never even pecked at me. And they are really cute, so that helps.

We have kept chickens for years and they do a good job at bug control, clean up some kitchen scraps and provide eggs. They can nasty up their shed in a big hurry but we let them free range during the day and that helps. I like having them around. We've had a mean rooster here and there, but after a few rounds of "rooster golf" with a shovel they found some manners. But they could put the hurt on a little kid, so either don't have a rooster or get a tame one.

I like Cackle Hatchery www.cacklehatchery.com. Over the years we had quite a few varieties, any of the large breed brown egg layers seem to be pretty mellow. Right now we have Golden Lace Wyandotte hens, they are very pretty. Got a mutt rooster that we hatched out that's gotta be 6 or 7 years old, keep waiting for him to keel over and die but he doesn't. This year, we are going to order some Ameracauna pullets.

Latest posts