- Aug 9, 2020
- Reaction score
I had bought two 14 month old heifers in April..one Chianina x Brahman and one Chi-Angus x Brahma. I had put them in the Kudzu pasture with my plummer cows and our 4 corriente heifers. My plan was to breed the Chianina/Brahma to a polled Charlolais, and the other to a black. polled Simmental for February/March calves. May 4th, though I ended up in the hospital for a week with congestive heart failure, and ended up having heart surgery in July, so didn't get down there, Scott had turned our Corriente bull in with them all last of May/1st of June. I was not wanting them to be bred by a Corr bull, at least not then. I was down there this past weekend and we rounded them up and got them in the working pens. Neither one bumped, and the Chi-ang showed signs of heat. We loaded them up and took them to Scott's place; He is having the vet out this week to vaccinate and pull Coggins on the horses and will get them preg tested then. If I do go ahead and breed the, when they are in heat again, I am looking at July calves in 2023 at 29 months old.with the calves weaning in January 2024. If I wait til February, I can get November of 2023 calves. That will put them at 33 months old having their 1st calf. and the calves weaning April of 2024. Hell, I might not even be there then, the way my health is going. Third option.. I can sell them now for nearly twice what I gave for them. What would YOU do? Thinking back, it wouldn't have been too bad had the corr bull bred them. I would have had February caves, which I like. Those calves wouldn't be worth much, but I could have bred them back late April 2024 like we like to do.