Dodged a bullet!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I had bought two 14 month old heifers in April..one Chianina x Brahman and one Chi-Angus x Brahma. I had put them in the Kudzu pasture with my plummer cows and our 4 corriente heifers. My plan was to breed the Chianina/Brahma to a polled Charlolais, and the other to a black. polled Simmental for February/March calves. May 4th, though I ended up in the hospital for a week with congestive heart failure, and ended up having heart surgery in July, so didn't get down there, Scott had turned our Corriente bull in with them all last of May/1st of June. I was not wanting them to be bred by a Corr bull, at least not then. I was down there this past weekend and we rounded them up and got them in the working pens. Neither one bumped, and the Chi-ang showed signs of heat. We loaded them up and took them to Scott's place; He is having the vet out this week to vaccinate and pull Coggins on the horses and will get them preg tested then. If I do go ahead and breed the, when they are in heat again, I am looking at July calves in 2023 at 29 months old.with the calves weaning in January 2024. If I wait til February, I can get November of 2023 calves. That will put them at 33 months old having their 1st calf. and the calves weaning April of 2024. Hell, I might not even be there then, the way my health is going. Third option.. I can sell them now for nearly twice what I gave for them. What would YOU do? Thinking back, it wouldn't have been too bad had the corr bull bred them. I would have had February caves, which I like. Those calves wouldn't be worth much, but I could have bred them back late April 2024 like we like to do.

Can't lower their age but if you wait to breed in late November they'll calve in late August or early September which is a better option than July .

Bred heifers or not, how are you doing? Heart surgery isn't a minor thing.
I am going very well for my age. Have been feeling like a freight train hit me since Tuesday. went to the doc yesterday, and it is flu. I hate it when I get the flu...about once every 3 or 4 years. Other than that, I actually feel better since the heart surgery than I have in years. Thanks for asking! :)

How much of a height difference? I had a 12-13 month old angus that was small frame breed a Holstein x Angus that I thought no way he gets her bred but he got them all including her…
I ride a 16 hd rope horse out there, and our Corr bull comes to my boot top when I am in the saddle. The Brama-Chi is about 15hds, and the Brahma Chi-Angus about 14.2.

I ride a 16 hd rope horse out there, and our Corr bull comes to my boot top when I am in the saddle. The Brama-Chi is about 15hds, and the Brahma Chi-Angus about 14.2.
I've written here about the huge half Chi heifer I had that got bred by a little fence jumping Hereford bull. She was a foot and a half taller than that little guy. He must have waited for her to lie down or maybe she backed up to a stump. Biggest calf I ever weaned though...

Scott called tonight and the vet sleeved them. They are about 5 months preg. They will calve in February with the others, I just hate losing a year . wasting time with those worthless calves. I have about $750 each in both of them, and the Brangus dude wanted the Br x Chi-Angus for $1400, so I will almost get my money back, and buy 5 or 6 Corriente cows with it. Scott said he might take the Br x Chianina, and breed her Charolais every year. He is wanting to trade me a gun I have wanted since I sold the one I had in the 1980s..... a Ruger semi-auto carbine in .44 Mag. What few I have found these last few years are anywhere from $800 to $1200, so that's probably what I will do. Quail and rabbit season opens in a couple of weeks, so I will bring the black one back home with me , to the Brangus dude.

I am going very well for my age. Have been feeling like a freight train hit me since Tuesday. went to the doc yesterday, and it is flu. I hate it when I get the flu...about once every 3 or 4 years. Other than that, I actually feel better since the heart surgery than I have in years. Thanks for asking! :)
I had quad bypass at 65.

I've written here about the huge half Chi heifer I had that got bred by a little fence jumping Hereford bull. She was a foot and a half taller than that little guy. He must have waited for her to lie down or maybe she backed up to a stump. Biggest calf I ever weaned though...
I got involved with a client end of the 90's, that was trying to raise his own bucking bulls..3-way crosses of Brahma, Chianina, and Longhorn. Early 2000's he had enough of the 3=way composites to breed ,so he started selling off his 2-ways. I would buy his Brahma- Chi cows and heifers...or he would sometimes just give them to me. He was also into draft horse pulling competitions, and kept a pair of Holstein- Chianina oxen. He had 6 Chi cows and 6 Holstein cows he'd breed each year to Holstein and Chianina bulls respectively, He would give me the heifers, in exchange for me helping him with the horses. Might be the best cows I ever had. I would breed them to Brangus bulls, and they would raise calves that would reach 500lbs in 4 months!
1st year, I bed the BR x Chi to the Brangus bulls, They would raise calves you could almost sit on the porch and SEE them grow! But, those calves mostly ended up smoky. 2nd year I got talked into using a Char bull by a neighbor that raised registered Charolais. Since the 70's, I had vowed to never, ever fool with cow-killing Charolais and Simmental bulls, but these were BIG cows so I gave it a shot. OMG,, what massive, scale-mashing white calves they had! I never kept any long enough, but had another neighbor who would buy the 1/2 Char, 1/4 Brahma and 1/4 Chianina heifers, and he used the original, red and white Simm bulls Those calves out-grew his Simmental calves by a mile, so apparently this 3-way cross made excellent brood cows.

That is why I bought this Br x Chi heifer. I was planning on breeding her Charolais each year. Dunno what good just having 1 a year would have done for me, though. IF I was younger, and IF I wanted to get into cow-calf operations again, I would love to have a pasture full of those Br x Chi cows and breed them to Charolais. The incredible growth rate and massive weaning weights would more than make up for the " non-black dock".

I got involved with a client end of the 90's, that was trying to raise his own bucking bulls..3-way crosses of Brahma, Chianina, and Longhorn. Early 2000's he had enough of the 3=way composites to breed ,so he started selling off his 2-ways. I would buy his Brahma- Chi cows and heifers...or he would sometimes just give them to me. He was also into draft horse pulling competitions, and kept a pair of Holstein- Chianina oxen. He had 6 Chi cows and 6 Holstein cows he'd breed each year to Holstein and Chianina bulls respectively, He would give me the heifers, in exchange for me helping him with the horses. Might be the best cows I ever had. I would breed them to Brangus bulls, and they would raise calves that would reach 500lbs in 4 months!
1st year, I bed the BR x Chi to the Brangus bulls, They would raise calves you could almost sit on the porch and SEE them grow! But, those calves mostly ended up smoky. 2nd year I got talked into using a Char bull by a neighbor that raised registered Charolais. Since the 70's, I had vowed to never, ever fool with cow-killing Charolais and Simmental bulls, but these were BIG cows so I gave it a shot. OMG,, what massive, scale-mashing white calves they had! I never kept any long enough, but had another neighbor who would buy the 1/2 Char, 1/4 Brahma and 1/4 Chianina heifers, and he used the original, red and white Simm bulls Those calves out-grew his Simmental calves by a mile, so apparently this 3-way cross made excellent brood cows.

That is why I bought this Br x Chi heifer. I was planning on breeding her Charolais each year. Dunno what good just having 1 a year would have done for me, though. IF I was younger, and IF I wanted to get into cow-calf operations again, I would love to have a pasture full of those Br x Chi cows and breed them to Charolais. The incredible growth rate and massive weaning weights would more than make up for the " non-black dock".
I agree. Weight is where the money is. I see all these (kids?) weaning early and using expensive feeding programs to get weight, and yet people do the same thing with genetics and a standard weaning age. I have a problem understanding why anyone would settle for 450# calves.

Scott called tonight and the vet sleeved them. They are about 5 months preg. They will calve in February with the others, I just hate losing a year . wasting time with those worthless calves. I have about $750 each in both of them, and the Brangus dude wanted the Br x Chi-Angus for $1400, so I will almost get my money back, and buy 5 or 6 Corriente cows with it. Scott said he might take the Br x Chianina, and breed her Charolais every year. He is wanting to trade me a gun I have wanted since I sold the one I had in the 1980s..... a Ruger semi-auto carbine in .44 Mag. What few I have found these last few years are anywhere from $800 to $1200, so that's probably what I will do. Quail and rabbit season opens in a couple of weeks, so I will bring the black one back home with me , to the Brangus dude.
I knew they were bred! 😆
Always works that way.

You will NEVER sell the Ruger! Go wallop some hogs and deer.
I WILL have a 41 Mag Marlin (yes 41) one of these days....

I knew they were bred! 😆
Always works that way.

You will NEVER sell the Ruger! Go wallop some hogs and deer.
I WILL have a 41 Mag Marlin (yes 41) one of these days....
Yep. You did call it, Murray. And no, I will never sell that gun. When I sold mine in the 80's, they were plentiful and I believe still in production. I have another awesome 44 rifle as well. About 3 years ago, I was on the lookout for a Circuit Judge... 45lc/.410 like the revolver, but with a longer barrel and a rifle stock. Buddy of mine goes to a lot of gun shows and flea markets, and I had told him if he saw one to get it and I'd pay him for it. Well, he called me one Monday and said he had found one, and was brining it over. it was something I didn;t know existed. It was in 44 mag, and only shot those. No shotgun shells. I have a Henry lever action 44mag, as well. Those Marlin 41 mags go for $2000-$2500, and I do not see themever going down in price. That would be a good investment, Murray.

How are you doing now? Everyone I talk to says that fater by=pass, they are better than they have been in years, but damn that recovery period!
I didn't find recovery all that bad, but as soon as I was able (Bypass surgery was Oct 3 2015) I went thru cardiac rehab, which was in January for about a month, 3 days/week. It helped, a LOT. If they offer it to you, do it. Prior to that, I was up and walking in the hospital and doing their rehab within a a few days. I had to spend a couple extra days in hosp recovery because I developed AFib.
I was building fence by Thanksgiving (But no tpost driving or posthole digging). The worst part was the blood thinners. Any little bump of my arms resulted in bad bruise looking things and bleeding. An oak tree had fallen on my brother's property and I went over and cut it off a fence and sawed it up. Looked like I had stuck my hand and forearm in a meat grinder when I was done.

Do I feel a lot better? You bet, and to borrow a phrase from a TV infomercial "She'll like it too!" ;)
bloodyhand.jpg

Latest posts