Do you have any experience...

Help Support CattleToday:

capparelli

Reaction score
With how 878 calves usually finish out and look? Would you be against showing a purebred Angus against crossbred steers? I have a steer out of New Design 878 and one of my Registered Angus cows. I was thinking about using him as my show steer for this coming year. He will be a year next January and our show is in February. He wont be going up against club calf steers, just other steers out of some of the local cattleman's commercial herds in our county.

I know nothing of the 878 calves but a purebred anything will get hammered in a crossbred class no matter how good of a purebred it is.

Case in point, just delivered a pure hereford steer to a feller. Dropped him off in his "cool room" and stayed for a beverage and some chit-chat. That hereford was near the best in my field. Looked great in my field amoungst the other herefords, no creep. He was 50 lbs lighter that the other crossbreds in the same pen, was out muscled and sloppyer fronted. He will not compete with the crossed up calves that were on creep. He is good in his own right, but will have to show against other herfs to compete.

WHILE 878 IS A GREAT BULL,YOUR CHANCES WITH HIM IN A CROSSBRED CLASS ARE NOT VERY GOOD,JUST ENTER HIM IN A ANGUS CLASS.878 IS NOT KNOWN FOR BEING A SHOW BULL , YOU COULD EVEN TRY A CARCASS SHOW.THERE ARE VERY FEW ANGUS BULLS THAT WILL SIRE WINNING STEERS IN A CROSSBRED CLASS,ITS USUALLY THE BUTT THAT GETS THEM IN TROUBLE

Latest posts