Do you believe in .....

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score

I have a leak in a water line and need to isolate a line or two so I can find it. This is right over a 2" main that is off . I never used to believe but after I bought an oldtimer lunch one day (on a bet) I do now.

Used to not be able to do it. This is high tensil fence wire.

I BELIEVE! :lol2:

callmefence said:
I do it all the time. I prefer welding rods Anybody that doesn't believe get your money and I'll make you a believer. Not everyone can do it.

My wife is a nonbeliever, even running the shovel as a spotter as I ran the machine! :lol2: :lol2:

I've been doing it for years, can pick up water pipes quite easy. But doesnt always pull to just water so never trust it completely. But certainly a good tool to have. I remember one property spent $13000 on ground imaging to find water. They were drilling and i had a walk around and reckoned they were 30ft in the wrong spot. They went really deep and was dry. Later in the year in desperation drilled where i said and at half the depth hit really good water. In another area i felt nothing and imaging said water, they hit a heap of water. All still a mystery to me.

It's not strong with me so I have to work at it. Copper wire works best for me. Easier to find electrical lines than waterlines. Once had a neighbor was going to plant a tree in his yard and was trying to figure where his water line was so he didn't plant the tree on top of it. Showed him where it was and he said that's where he wanted the tree so he moved over a bunch and hit his waterline... :oops: after he fixed up his water line he went back and started digging where he wanted in the first place. Yep, found the pipe I said was their but it turned out to be a discarded piece covered up by the building contractors when they put the yard in. Don't think many will say it's fool proof.

The 1/2" pipe was within 24 inches of my paint mark. The 2" was directly below. Dug one heck of a hole and nothing!

Old guy around here could tell the difference in size on pipe. Sewer, water, electrical. Cost me another lunch! :nod:

1982vett said:
It's not strong with me so I have to work at it. Copper wire works best for me. Easier to find electrical lines than waterlines. Once had a neighbor was going to plant a tree in his yard and was trying to figure where his water line was so he didn't plant the tree on top of it. Showed him where it was and he said that's where he wanted the tree so he moved over a bunch and hit his waterline... :oops: after he fixed up his water line he went back and started digging where he wanted in the first place. Yep, found the pipe I said was their but it turned out to be a discarded piece covered up by the building contractors when they put the yard in. Don't think many will say it's fool proof.

Old pipes pull the hardest even if empty. They seem to keep a lining of iron or something.

My great great aunt made a living finding wells sites in California with willow sticks. When I left there during the drought I had a well at 100' that she had found many years earlier that was humming right along while every neighbor around me was going dry at 150'.
I do okay with it. I've mapped out most of the water lines on my place here with welding rods. I tried to find a water line in a five acre orchard back in California and wound up finding the tree spacing from a hundred year old citrus orchard that had been dozed twenty years earlier where they had blasted the original holes in the hardpan with dynamite.

I wouldn't consider having a well dug without it being witched first. I can't do it though. I can touch the person doing the locating and stop the rods from working. What can I say? I also have B-negative blood and most days a bad attitude, especially the longer this winter hangs on. :yuck:

coat hanger, welding rods , high tensile fence , it doesn't matter It works for me. I can find water lines and electric lines. Can't for the life of me find one property corner using them to much old fence wire buried is guess the bastards stay crossed in the 20'ft circle where the stob is supposed to be.

M-5 said:
coat hanger, welding rods , high tensile fence , it doesn't matter It works for me. I can find water lines and electric lines. Can't for the life of me find one property corner using them to much old fence wire buried is guess the bastards stay crossed in the 20'ft circle where the stob is supposed to be.

I'd start digging....bound to be some buried treasure. :D

Latest posts