DNA?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Does anyone know if DNA is pulled on a Heifer that was a twin to a bull, is there any test that would prove for sure if she's a free martain or not. Thanks B&G

Black and Good":3ca60g53 said:
Does anyone know if DNA is pulled on a Heifer that was a twin to a bull, is there any test that would prove for sure if she's a free martain or not. Thanks B&G

Yes.

http://www.geneticvisions.net/freemartin.aspx

A freemartin or free-martin (sometimes martin heifer) is an infertile female mammal with masculinized behavior and non-functioning ovaries.[1] Genetically the animal is chimeric: Karyotyping of a sample of cells shows XX/XY chromosomes. The animal originates as a female (XX), but acquires the male (XY) component in utero by exchange of some cellular material from a male twin, via vascular connections between placentas: an example of microchimerism.

Thanks Raven, That's who AGA uses for testing. I'll get ahold of them. Thanks for the lead! It will be worth the test I'm hoping B&G

Black and Good":16yy4otl said:
Thanks Raven, That's who AGA uses for testing. I'll get ahold of them. Thanks for the lead! It will be worth the test I'm hoping B&G

Glad to help. Don't wait long. Best to sample the calf at a young age. The Y influenced cells become more difficult to detect as the calf gets older.

I have used them for freemartin testing. Takes a few weeks but haven't had any issues with them. Last two were both freemartins :( but at least it makes decision making simpler.

Black and Good":2oz3oe7q said:

B&G

I have learned that Neogen GeneSeek no longer conducts the Freemartin test.

Bright Raven":3lswnunz said:
Black and Good":3lswnunz said:

B&G

I have learned that Neogen GeneSeek no longer conducts the Freemartin test.

OK, Thanks for the update sir. B&G

Latest posts