DM Estimating Table

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
I found this interesting table for estimating bale density / DM. I have always struggled to compare baleage bales to dry hay.
If I figure my bales on the second highest density rating I'm feeding my cows 27 lbs of dry matter per day. And about 5 lbs of that is ripgut. And since it warmed up they are cleaning it up as well as they had been. I might try dropping them to an estimated 22lbs DM one day then 27 the next for a few days.
IMG_0121.png

In my experience if a full size bale 5x6 or 4x6 weighs 1600lbs, a silage bale from the same baler at 5' height @40-50% moisture is very close to 1600lbs. Also the silage/baleage bales will be the same mileage feed wise as the dry bale due to Higher feed quality(more leaves) and less waste.

In my experience if a full size bale 5x6 or 4x6 weighs 1600lbs, a silage bale from the same baler at 5' height @40-50% moisture is very close to 1600lbs. Also the silage/baleage bales will be the same mileage feed wise as the dry bale due to Higher feed quality(more leaves) and less waste.
I've always felt that a silage bale would feed nearly a many cows as a dry bale but not quite.

It is pretty darn close, I usually feed a little more than enough so I call them equal and everyone is happy.

Our hay bales are 5x6, silage bales are 5x5 regardless on moisture content. Silage bale is roughly 64% volume of hay bale so we feed 2/3 number of cows per bale as we would hay.

Our hay bales are 5x6, silage bales are 5x5 regardless on moisture content. Silage bale is roughly 64% volume of hay bale so we feed 2/3 number of cows per bale as we would hay.
All this math……this early in the morning.
Don'tchu Canadians have some different measure of percentage?:ROFLMAO:

I need more cows

Latest posts