Divisions for 4-h..in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Does anyone have any resources for finding out more information on the 4-h cattle clubs in my county?
In a typical style for my county, no one seems to know who runs the beef program, nor where I can look at what the program entails.

My son is young, hes got another year or two before he can really show 4-h, but a friend of mine was talking about that the county next to us offers pee-wee classes for the younger kids, some even where the parents are able to walk beside their child to assist, should the steer/heifer become a bully...I dont know..

Im not having alot of luck with this :(

Your county extension office should have an extension agent that handles all the 4-H clubs in your county. They should be able to give you all the info. and get you all the program info. that you need.

Here is the State 4-H web site:
http://texas4-h.tamu.edu

As far as the pee wee classes, that may be at a particular show. Every show has their own rules.

mom

TxSimbrahShower":325nljyu said:
Your county extension office should have an extension agent that handles all the 4-H clubs in your county. They should be able to give you all the info. and get you all the program info. that you need.

Here is the State 4-H web site:
http://texas4-h.tamu.edu

As far as the pee wee classes, that may be at a particular show. Every show has their own rules.

mom
The regular 4-H ages are 8-18. They have what is called "Clover Kids" which allows them to start a few projects a couple years earlier.

The Progress Shows in our area offer Pee Wee classes for children who are too young to be a 4-H or Junior FFA member. Most of the time they show an older sibling's animal. The Progess Shows are put on by FFA Chapters or 4-H Clubs as a fundraising activity. They are open to both FFA and 4-H members.

Ask your Extension about a club that has a strong Beef project, not necessarily a Beef Only Project Club. Many clubs are community clubs that have parents who are leaders in different project areas. In our county, many kids who have beef projects also participate in other areas (poultry, rabbit, photography, foods & nutrition and clothing & textiles).

This is the link to your county's Extension Office website:

http://wichita-tx.tamu.edu/

I would look into jackpot shows that start around October/November. Around here there is no age limit on this type of showing. He can show steers or heifers but Im not sure about mom and dad in the ring, I have never seen that. The youngest kid I have seen show was a 6yr old. He was awsome, made everyone watching proud. He also kicked everyones butt :D .

Chippie- Ive got an enquiry into my county office. Our area also has a strong dog club and they can start at 8 years old(my son will be eight in October), so I also enquired on that.

I think 4-h has alot to offer and I want to get him involved in SOMETHING with 4-h..tried the horses and hes kinda "ehhh" about it..thought we might look into something else.

Showsteer-I havent a clue what the beef shows around here are about, I know we have on in Sept..in fact its a beef, goat, sheep and dog show..but thats it.

Hopefully my extension offic3 can offer some help!

I started my son with a booster steer and rabbits. The clover buds around here can show booster. It will also give you an idea if its for him or not. Have you ever been around cattle before?

show steer up":qj94fj8d said:
I started my son with a booster steer and rabbits. The clover buds around here can show booster. It will also give you an idea if its for him or not. Have you ever been around cattle before?
Hi Show steer
My husband grew up showing swine and cattle, so he is the mastermind behind that stuff. the only cattle I had been around was during my cowhorse competitions! :) He bought me 2 weeks ago a 2 year old Brangus heifer. She is just going to be my "meat maker". My husband reccomended getting a weanling if our son expressed in an interest in this..which he has. Was hoping he'd stick with a Brangus, but he is stuck on this bottle calf he got to mess with..a simmi/hereford...so we may be going with something along those lines for him..not sure..was really interested in just seeing what was offered through 4-h for him.

Thats great :D
Well this board is a good place to start. Lots of great advice and good hearted people wanting to help.
let us know what he gets and if he shows.

Thanks showsteer :) Ive met lots of nice people on this board.

I spoke with the family who runs almost all of Archer CO 4-h this weekend and she was VERY helpful. I think we may go down there when Casey is old enough. Hes got two buddies whom he hangs out at horse shows with that will be joining just about the same time as him.

I'm glad that you have touched base with other 4-H families. We have been a 4-H family for going on 16 years and I have been a Club Manager of our county's horse club for over 6.
You might want to double check about your son's age.
The 4-H year begins on Sept 1 and runs through August 31. The 4-Her's age is the age of the child on Sept. 1, and the child remains that age the entire 4-H year (even after having a birthday).

From the Texas 4-H website:
Any youth may become a member of 4-H when he or she has reached 9 years of age or 8 years of age and has entered the third grade. "Entered the third grade" is interpreted as September 1 of the year the member is enrolled in the third grade. See 4-H Clover Kids section for guidelines for involving younger youth.

If your son is too young to be a regular 4-H member, he can join Clover Kids. The Clover Kids can still learn and participate in the project areas, however they are not eligible to participate in 4-H judged events (except the food show - I think).

The dog project is a fun one. Our two oldest daughters did it when they were in Elementary School.

Here is the link for the Beef project info:

http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/projects/Beef.html

and for the Dog project:

http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/projects/dog_care.html

A good thing about 4-H is that it teaches more than just showing or taking care of an animal. It teaches life skills.

My poor son...he has one of those bad b-days..October :( so he'll be 9 a good portion of the year and still not be able to do regular 4-h stuff..although that would be next year, as he turns 8 this October.

The county agent did tell me about the Clover Kids, might be worth getting him too,at least to get him started.

He and one of our dogs are pretty good together. This dog was my mothers and did not grow up around kids, yet when she came to live with us, she latched onto Casey like no other..she is a heeler and just needs to have her "person"..she minds him well and follows him everywhere. She did basic drug training and also obideience and thought Casey might enjoy furtherin her training through the dog club.

I enjoyed 4-h when I was growing up, and you are VERY correct, it teaches LIFE lessons.
I debated between Pony Club and 4-h...the deciding factor was, when I was a kid, I did not have a trailer and pony club required you brought your horse to each meeting. I think I learned more in 4-h then those in pony club.

There is a way around the age requirement....The rule states they must be 8 OR in 3rd grade. Our daughter had an October birthday but because she was in third grade she was allowed to show. Maybe this will help you.

Hopefully you are trying to clarify the rules.

Any youth may become a member of 4-H when he or she has reached 9 years of age or 8 years of age and has entered the third grade. "Entered the third grade" is interpreted as September 1 of the year the member is enrolled in the third grade. See 4-H Clover Kids section for guidelines for involving younger youth.

If her son will be in the third grade on Sept. 1, 2008, he will be eligible to join 4-H.

I'm pretty sure all/most Texas schools begin in August...I don't know any around here that start Sept. 1 or later. Hope this helps.

chippie":3qkuu825 said:
Hopefully you are trying to clarify the rules.

If her son will be in the third grade on Sept. 1, 2008, he will be eligible to join 4-H.

Nope, second grade...Sept 1 2009 he will be in third grade.

Latest posts