Disking Land

Help Support CattleToday:

SkinMan

Reaction score
We recently cleared 80 acres behind our house. We have grass on about 80% of it now. It's pretty rough driving on it with all of the washouts and stump holes. My question is: When is the best time to disk it up to smooth it out? Fall or Spring?
I know if I disk it now, I'll have to plant wheat and rye to keep it from washing this winter.

SkinMan":37aeu5vf said:
We recently cleared 80 acres behind our house. We have grass on about 80% of it now. It's pretty rough driving on it with all of the washouts and stump holes. My question is: When is the best time to disk it up to smooth it out? Fall or Spring?
I know if I disk it now, I'll have to plant wheat and rye to keep it from washing this winter.

I would disk it and drag it smooth now, soil test and lime/fertilize to test and plant WW. If I was going to choose between lime or fertilize in the fall I would go with lime then early spring or late winter fertilize

disk an level it now.an plant winter pasture on it.now is the best time to get it level.

This late in the winter dont you take a chance of planting? I dont know Louisians but this late we wait till early spring to plant. We can work the ground but only pray for water. But I really dont know Louisiana weather. :?

Put some WW and clover on it. Clover is cheap, good forage, and it puts nitrogen in the ground.

You didn't say what pasture grass you have. Discing methods would depend on it.

I had planted Bemuda, but coastal is starting to take over. It probably would be good to go ahead and disk now and plant some WW. I can always disk it again this spring if it needs it.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Would run a motor grader over it in the spring seed with fertilizer and roll. Seed in the months that have R in them, they are months that have moisture.

Latest posts