Disk mower clogging

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
I have a Kuhn GMD 600 that in thick orchard grass clogs on the outside corner. The grass is thick and had already put seed on.
This was last year and I'm just seeing what I might could do before this season.

Check the outside hub. The tallest disc. Sometimes the tower breaks loose from the disc and doesn't turn as well so it doesn't throw out the grass.

Most disc mowers are designed to mow above 4 mph. If you mow at slower speeds the crop loads up doesn't clear the cutterbar & the top hat the brings the hay around into the end support or grass board. As mentioned if the top hat is not functioning properly the crop drags up on the end supports and is not cleared from new crop being mowed. Be happy you have a heavy crop and adjust your speed accordingly. Sharp blades work best as well. Blades with the ends rounded off will still cut but can cause buildup issues as well. Kuhn is a fine MFG and their products work well around the world.

Check your swath board. Last year ours loosened up and pinch the crop around outside hat. Hope it's simple. Good luck

Check the outside hubs for scratches or nicks. It wont take much for it to catch the hay and make it start wrapping around itself. I dont know what the drum on the Kuhn looks like but if there is a cap on top of the drum makes sure its not making the hay get pinched or caught. On my Case IH mower i had to remove the cap because it would catch the hay and clog on first cuttings. Make sure there's nothing that would get hurt though if you run it without the cap. For mine all it did was allow seeds to enter the hub but there was opening on the bottom that allowed them to escape so i didn't have to worry about part getting damaged or a fire.

Most disc mowers are designed to mow above 4 mph. If you mow at slower speeds the crop loads up doesn't clear the cutterbar & the top hat the brings the hay around into the end support or grass board. As mentioned if the top hat is not functioning properly the crop drags up on the end supports and is not cleared from new crop being mowed. Be happy you have a heavy crop and adjust your speed accordingly. Sharp blades work best as well. Blades with the ends rounded off will still cut but can cause buildup issues as well. Kuhn is a fine MFG and their products work well around the world.
Glad to see you back on here HayDR! Lots of folks could use your input with hay season coming up.

I have a Kuhn GMD 600 that in thick orchard grass clogs on the outside corner. The grass is thick and had already put seed on.
This was last year and I'm just seeing what I might could do before this season.
Some tractors have 2 pto settings 1 for most rotations and another for less rotation but more ground speed and less fuel consumption. Make sure your pro is set for highest rotation.

It's important to be turning the implement at the designed RPM. If a tractor has more then one PTO speed, the lowest one is most often 540 RPM. The higher PTO speeds are for specific implements, however using the higher PTO speed and then reduced ground speed provides the better fuel consumption while getting near a 540 RPM.

It's important to be turning the implement at the designed RPM. If a tractor has more then one PTO speed, the lowest one is most often 540 RPM. The higher PTO speeds are for specific implements, however using the higher PTO speed and then reduced ground speed provides the better fuel consumption while getting near a 540 RPM.

I think he's talking about the 540E that some tractors have, which allows for lower engine RPMs while doing light duty PTO work like spreading fertilizer, lime, running a sprayer, etc.

The only way that would be possible is if the mower was 1000 RPM and he was running it at 540, but you cannot do that with most tractors since the gear change is usually done internally when you flip the shaft around.

If he had it in the 540E gear, then he would be over driving the mower if running rated RPMs.

Check and make sure your belts are tight as on those they have to be tight. A little slippage will cause that as I had that problem and had to get new belts from wear and dry rot.

Latest posts