Discipline and Performance!

Help Support CattleToday:

beef

Reaction score
Doc Harris posted an interesting question entitled "Performance and Phenotype." Here is my question post; name 3 angus breeders who have been in business since 1970, who avoided the height fad and who also avoided the funnel butt fad.

For the purposes of this question, being in business since 1970 requires that one of the owners/partners in 1970 is still alive and is still an owner/partner in the ranch. Satisfying the height fad requirement means that the program did not register any direct offspring of Pine Drive Big Sky. Meeting the funnel butt requirement means the program never registered direct offspring of B/R New Design 036.

To avoid small timers such as myself, the programs must have registered 100 + bulls in 2006.

I am fairly certain of three which qualify and wonder about a few more. I am interested in your answers; especially Doc's. :)

I wouln't say Gardiner has avoided the funnel butts.... if anything they have propagated them to an extreme degree.

I don't know that he has been in business since 1970 but Bill Conley has some thick cattle along with Ohlde's

THG,
Gardiners is out they have had plenty of New Design progeny.

How about NBar/Sinclair Cattle Company, Shosone Angus, Graham Cattle Company in Georgia.

jscunn

I agree those 3 herds will fit the criteria.

THG

Remember, the dam of VDAR Lucys Boy is an own daughter of PDBS. Sitz has a heavy influence of ND 1407.

Gardiner used PDBS and 036. Sitz used PDBS as did VDAR. NBar/Sinclair changed ownership during the time period. Shoshone fits the bill if they still register 100 bulls. GDAR used PDBS. Graham was another one on my list of 3. I still have one more in mind.

Fester":a1zfddd1 said:
jscunn

I agree those 3 herds will fit the criteria.

THG

Remember, the dam of VDAR Lucys Boy is an own daughter of PDBS. Sitz has a heavy influence of ND 1407.
What about Stevenson/Basin?

Sitz doesn't have heavy influence of 1407, they have used the bull but they don't work down there at all. No surpise at all.

They have a heavy influence of Alliance/8180/Rainmaker cattle.

Wye changed ownership when the herd was donated to UMF. Wye also used alot of the carcass bulls in their carcass herd some years ago; Premier Independence and Scotch Cap were two bulls they used. I'm not sure if they used 036 as he may have come along after they sold the carcass cattle. I don't think Pharo was in business when the height craze came along. I bet he could have sold the hound out of those tall cattle, "These Harrison sons are cheap to keep, they don't eat much, just look how skinny they are" ;-)

THG":1f0kktz9 said:
Gardiner, Van Dyke, Sitz. Am I hot and on the target with these three?

THG
THG

Gardner?? :shock: :roll: ? You need to do more research on Angus instead of Herefords, Hill!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":vjxy08b5 said:
THG":vjxy08b5 said:

THG
THG

Gardner?? :shock: :roll: ? You need to do more research on Angus instead of Herefords, Hill!

DOC HARRIS
Sorry Doc, not as old as you are.

THG

I am fairly certain of three which qualify and wonder about a few more. I am interested in your answers; especially Doc's.

beef-

Your Criteria establishing the parameters of this post is necessarily strict, and could require hours of research if one is not eminently acquainted with the statistics. Inasmuch as I came "late to the dance" on this post, I feel that I would be committing plagiarism to profess knowledge of which I am not honestly aware.

I don't really know the answers to your questions. I DO know that it certainly is NOT GARDNER!

DOC HARRIS

THG":3syu2wwi said:
DOC HARRIS":3syu2wwi said:
THG":3syu2wwi said:

THG
THG

DOC HARRIS

THG

THG:
You are old enough to read a Select Sires catalog. ;-)

beef":306x4sie said:
THG":306x4sie said:
DOC HARRIS":306x4sie said:
THG":306x4sie said:

THG
THG

DOC HARRIS

THG

THG:
You are old enough to read a Select Sires catalog. ;-)
Ha! Ha!. That is a good one beef! I really like reading the Select Sires catalogs. I think that Select Sires and Genex have the best Black Angus bulls at stud right now. I think that Origen is right behind them.

THG

The herds I had in mind when I started this thread were Jorgensen, Graham and Nichols. By the way THG, ABS has bulls from these three programs. If you get a chance to tear yourself away from the select sires catalog for a few minutes, check out the ABS catalog.