Disc Mower Repair

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
Got an old Rhino disc mower that we've been using on the farm for several years. The "discs" have some wear on them to the point that some were beginning to crack or had holes. I know these discs can be moved to a different spindle and the would rotate the opposite direction to evenly wear the discs, but i decided to go a different route since we have an odd number of spindles on this mower. (would still have had one disc that would turn the same direction)

Here is a what we were working with..

Here is after i tacked the hole up. I was using a MIG welder with .030 wire. I went with 30 wire simply because it would input less heat and gives me more control when filling gaps such as this.

Here is the finished product. I ran a bead around the tops of the bolt holes as well. Some of the ones I've repaired in the past would wear the tops of the nuts down pretty thin.

Couple of tips.. Always place ground (workpiece clamp for you who demand proper terms) on the disc you are wearing so there's no continuity through bearing or gears. Skip around a little bit between discs to give them time to cool to protect your bearings and seals. Keep a fire extinguisher handy because you know... hay, sparks, fire etc...

No they probably aren't perfectly balanced. I have repaired several of these over the years and never had a complaint with vibration or premature bearing failure.

These discs run around $165.00 new. There are 5 on this particular mower.

Looks like you have saved some money and added a few years to the machine.

Always looking for ways to save money and get the most out of equipment.. Sometimes i wish i could just trade it all in on some new stuff, but the farm account wont allow it!

Hardin Farms said:
Always looking for ways to save money and get the most out of equipment.. Sometimes i wish i could just trade it all in on some new stuff, but the farm account wont allow it!
I know the feeling....patch around and try to get another year, I do on several things....

On my yard lawnmower, the blades wear incredibly fast from the gravel and sand I cut through, blades hardly last a year.. I built it up with weld and then put some hard surfacing on top of it

Latest posts