Direct Marketing Obscure Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

ge91

Reaction score
Curious as to anyone has messed around with breeds like Wagyu, Longhorns, or Aberdeen Angus for direct marketing?

Looking for something that carries a price premium, and may not require as much care taking.

Any thoughts on those breeds, over standard commercial breeds?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by "standard commercial breeds" ??? Angus are about as "standard" as they come in a good part of the east and southeast. Sure there are other breeds that are popular too, but due to the CAB designation, many are breeding their cattle to "BLACK" bulls and many of them are angus. There are also black Simmentals and black Limousins. Besides that , cross breeding an angus bull on hereford cows gives a sought after BWF calf that does real good.
Longhorns may not require as much "care taking" as some breeds, but you aren't going to get the quality of meat. Many are used in crossbreeding in the hotter areas of the country as they are good at withstanding the heat. Also anything with Brahma in it.
Wagyu will make a superior carcass if fed right. They also take longer to get to size.

Many who do some direct marketing do so because they have animals of "colors" that would hurt them in the average stockyard sales. Breeds like Galloways, which are supposed to have very good marbling due to their unique double haircoat, that they don't put on as much backfat. Most people who do some direct marketing also do it because they have a small group of friends etc., that have had some of their meat in the past. You have to be VERY detail oriented to gain a clientel for direct marketing. Many times if the product is not superior, it is a one time purchase and the buyers do not have a very good experience and they never come back. You will not be long in the business if you are looking for a breed that doesn't require alot of inputs yet expect to get premium prices.

The problem is every breed has good and bad animals. You need to find your own line. I breed red polls and their meat is renowned for being great eating and recently won a blind taste test of all breeds. I have butchered about 10 and while good to eat not something i would sing and dance about, it was just beef. The best i have eaten was murray grey.....and the worst i have eaten was also murray grey. I am going to start messing about with speckle park so will see where that takes me. They are meant to be incredibly consistent in meat quality, just not sure how good it is!

Chocolate Cow2 said:
The Aberdeen Angus he's referring to are Lowlines. They changed their name a year ago to Aberdeen Angus.
Thanks for the info. I always thought that the "angus" that we have, were really "aberdeen angus" and that the lowlines were an Australian developement of Angus. Like the shorthorn breed when it went from just shorthorn, as a dual purpose animal, to shorthorns and milking shorthorns; as the two diverged in purpose. Seems like the angus that originally came from scotland were "aberdeen angus" . I was not aware that there was a new designation.
So if I am reading this right, the "real original " aberdeen angus are not really what anyone is breeding anymore. The lowlines are smaller than what the original angus were, and the "american angus" is bigger than what the original angus were in many cases. And this whole thing of the american angus only being black is just dumb. Even the Holstein assoc has come to realize that the red & whites are as good as the black and whites. The red & white and black & white herd books are now combined, and the holstein assoc registers them all as holsteins. Maybe the angus breeders will come to their senses here. All other angus breed assocs in other country's accept both colors.

More clarification on my statement. Lowlines changed their name to American Aberdeen Angus.
The cattle you and I have in our pastures are Aberdeen Angus, similar to what came from Scotland.
I apologize for leaving off the American part.

We have a small herd of Aubracs cows that we live cover with an Akaushi bull. If you are direct marketing I would look at Murray Grey's if only for the high percentage of them having tender beef. We have one that rated a 9 out of 10 from Igenity, she is currently out with our bull. Should be a tender high marbling calf.

Just my opinions only, as I don't know the prospective or possibilities for the would be market. From a cattle farmers perspective, the obscure breeds would be very limited in what you could do with them outside of direct marketing some beef. There may or may not be a good demand for the breeding stock. I know from seeing them sell at the stockyards on occasion that the "mini breeds" along with Belted Galloways, Scottish Highlanders, Long Horns get docked considerably. Waygu is an interesting option as well, I don't know how well received it would or would not be, it would be docked at the stockyards like the others as well. I will say that if you have a market maybe even a local farmers market, would be a venue, that there are folks who sell beef at some of those. We sold produce at our farmers market, there were some folks there that sold beef pork, lamb, and goat. Some advertised Angus beef, and one vendor raised Bison. I have never seen the outfit, but a farm in a neighboring county raises and direct markets Texas Long Horn beef, the have some interesting information about the beef on their website.
I have a few long horn cross cows, only one with horns, had a purebred one but she got struck by lightning last summer. The horns make management a bit of a challenge so that should be a consideration if choosing them.
If we had of continued with the farmers market, I was thinking seriously of adding beef to our stand.
My plan was likely going to be Hereford beef as that is what most of our cattle are at this point, and possibly have an option of Longhorn or Longhorn x Hereford, if the demand had of been there.

Latest posts