digestible twine

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
Digestible twine, is there anything besides sisal twine which I believe can be eaten? I always use plastic twine but a truly digestible twine would be a labor saver and give flexibility when bale grazing. Sisal from what I have seen can rot too quickly. Experiences, ideas, etc.? thanks farmguy

I've read a lot of complaints about sisal rotting to quickly but since I feed all my hay it isn't a problem. I haul the bales off the field within a few days of baling and row them in the yard. Then if you have a double tine bale mover that goes under the bale instead of into the center of the bale you lose very little when feeding. Even with a single center tine I don't lose enough to worry about. Much nicer than removing frozen net wrap or plastic twine when feeding.

If I was selling hay I would use something else though. Also sisal can be an issue with corn stalk bales that bust apart easily.

ChrisB":1nd9ya1k said:
I've read a lot of complaints about sisal rotting to quickly but since I feed all my hay it isn't a problem. I haul the bales off the field within a few days of baling and row them in the yard. Then if you have a double tine bale mover that goes under the bale instead of into the center of the bale you lose very little when feeding. Even with a single center tine I don't lose enough to worry about. Much nicer than removing frozen net wrap or plastic twine when feeding.

If I was selling hay I would use something else though. Also sisal can be an issue with corn stalk bales that bust apart easily.

My baler tying mechanism broke last 100 bales I did and I did just as you stated very lil loss

"I despise string.
I can't find one disadvantage to net wrap. Except sometimes cost."

Try freezing rain or snow melting and freezing, twine can be bad enough. farmguy.

BK9954":2m9kvp51 said:
greybeard":2m9kvp51 said:
I have come to despise net wrapped bales....
As a hay buyer I prefer plastic twine over net.

I like twine , I have not tried sisal in a round baler personally , I know yrs ago we tried it but it would not work with square bale twine . If there is a round bale sisal available that is reasonably priced I would try it. It would save me a few steps when I feed whole rolls .

callmefence":1thie2xa said:
Bigfoot":1thie2xa said:
greybeard":1thie2xa said:
I have come to despise net wrapped bales....

She's obviously a expert.

Y'all do know that it doesn't have a pull string like a feed sack... :hide:

with twine all you really have to do is run over the loose tail string and by the time you get to where you going its unwrapped and all around your tractor axle

I prefer net wrap. The bales seem to shed better with less waste. I have found that feeding them in the winter requires a good sharp knife though...especially on my cornstalk bales! A good tip is to sort of smash the bale with the loader a bit in a couple of spots over the top before you actually spear it and move it. This breaks up the snow/ice crust on top and makes it tons easier to pull off the wrap. I like the twine more simply for the fact that I can always get it all off the bale at feeding time. Seems like no matter how careful I am, there is always bits of net in the bedding packs from the stalk bales....the shyt spreader loves that! :x

M-5":2o9zmw87 said:
callmefence":2o9zmw87 said:
Bigfoot":2o9zmw87 said:

She's obviously a expert.

Y'all do know that it doesn't have a pull string like a feed sack... :hide:

with twine all you really have to do is run over the loose tail string and by the time you get to where you going its unwrapped and all around your tractor axle

:|

I might like net better if I used only a spear, but I move most of my hay with 3 pt forks, that go under the bale, or forks on the front loader bucket of my backhoe.
With twine, I can cut it, then just easily pull it out with the bale still on the forks.
With net, I have to get the bale out of the barn, set it down, move the tractor and cut the netting off, pick the bale back up and hope the forks don't grab part of the netting that is now on the ground--or, roll the bale after cutting the netting, and re-fork it.

GB weld you 2 bars of rebar slight v shape and parallel to each other on top cross member of fork. slice your net wrsp take loose end thru bars and and a quick half hitch set Bale where every and when you drive off it pulls wrap out. I do the same with twine when not unrolling

I use the spear at home. But keep one of those little buggys on my leases. They cradle the bale like forks.
Like 5 says
That's pretty much what I do except for without the rebar. Just cut the wrap pull off what I can. Kinda twist into a rope. and tie it off around the buggy. Drive off it pulls out from under the bale.

My dad only likes twine, if it was up to me there would never be anymore twine. I can unwrap 3 rolls with net wrap by the time I can cut and pull twine. I put 1 3/4 wraps just trap the loose end and unwrap, thats out of the barn I'm sure frozen might make it different.

I hate net wrap the most awful part is when it has set outside, you cut the net it falls with 70 pounds of rotten frozen hay on it. If in the barn not that big a deal, but then what is the point? Real advantage I see is faster rolling in the field. For the record I hate net wrap! When we bought a new roller 2 years ago, that was first remark to salesman no net wrap.