diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Ok I Know some of you folks will have the answer. Gonna retire the old farm truck a 93 dodge diesel.....Gonna replace it with a beat up but newer 2003 Dodge diesel....for about the last 7 or 8 years i have run red diesel or any type through the 93 with no problems....Is their gonna be a problem with the 03 using red diesel?

No problem except as Dun and RBB says, DOT checks pickups pretty often here. A lot of fines in the $1200 to $1500 range. Takes a lot of savings from the red fuel to pay for that. There is no difference in the fuel just the dye that shows a road tax has not been paid. Here 1 gallon in 100 gallon will cost you.

This truck stays on the farm, I was more concerned about the sulfur content or lack of. Will it be a problem in the 03?

houstoncutter":3dj72zjv said:
This truck stays on the farm, I was more concerned about the sulfur content or lack of. Will it be a problem in the 03?
Your red deisel has the same sulfur content as the road diesel it is all LOW SULFUR fuel now days

I run road fuel in everything because our local suppplier shut down and the one that does bring red fuel in this area now is as high as road fuel
so I just buy road fuel and then file for my road tax back from the state

houstoncutter":2l00dyia said:

Add a 1/2 quart of 2-stroke outboard motor oil to roughly 40 gallons of fuel and you'll be good. I've never looked to see if it dyes it enough to run coloured, but it just might.

If you are buying a 2003 Dodge/24V. Cummins I would make sure that it had a fuel pressure guage on it. The factory lift pump's are garbage and without proper fuel pressure you will burn up the VP44 injection pump, they are expensive to replace.
For more information about the VP44. problems and cures go to Diesel Bombers.com.
Good luck.

It's going to have a common rail in it, not a 24 valve. Biggest problem they have are weak injectors.

Latest posts