Diesel as Fly Spray?

Help Support CattleToday:

txfishing

Reaction score
I purchased some oil based Permethrine for fly control. On the directions, it mentions to mix with diesel for use on back rubbers or use straight for pour on. However, it doesn't say anything about mixing it with diesel and applied with a spray.

Curious if anyone out there mixes diesel with insecticide for spraying on the backs and bellys of beef cattle?

Is the only concern accidental spraying of diesel mixture onto cattle faces?

Thanks!

txfishing":2euxh6tl said:
I purchased some oil based Permethrine for fly control. On the directions, it mentions to mix with diesel for use on back rubbers or use straight for pour on. However, it doesn't say anything about mixing it with diesel and applied with a spray.

Curious if anyone out there mixes diesel with insecticide for spraying on the backs and bellys of beef cattle?

Is the only concern accidental spraying of diesel mixture onto cattle faces?

Thanks!

Killed the Uncles Gert Bull as a teenager mixed the fly dip a little to stout.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":fpjeawa9 said:
Mixing with diesel you run the risk of burning their hide, just like as a kid you got a burn on your thigh when the zippo lighter leaked in your pocket. ;-) :cboy:

I read that "mix with diesel" garbage on the back rubbers and thought, "Oh HE11 no." I could just see one of my calves rubbing under that then standing out in the Texas sun.

Alice

If you want to spray it and you've got a pretty strong sprayer, you could mix it weaker but use mineral oil instead of diesel.

dun

Spraying insecticide mixed with diesel will blister their hide. Use water when spraying & diesel for backrubbers.

When the permetherin no longer kills the flies, change to CoRal or some other organophosphate as the flies develop resistance to the pyrethroids. It's not if they become resistant but when. Rotating between og's & pyrethroids will help.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Tells specifically in the directions not to use diesel if spraying on as it will burn their hide. I wouldn't go against the directions.

I have always used diesel in our backrubbers to carry the insecticides absolutly no problem and gives them an attractive scent. :D

KMacGinley":3rdibes5 said:
I have always used diesel in our backrubbers to carry the insecticides absolutly no problem and gives them an attractive scent. :D

We use it in the the fly mops too. One side benefit is that when the cows lose that oily sheen you know the mops needs to be recharged

dun

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like some people claim it blisters the hide while others say no problem and have been doing it for years.

The container I bought didn't say anything about spraying it on. It did however say it was okay to mix with diesel or Mineral Oil for back rubbers, Face flaps etc... That's why I asked.

I don't see the difference in a cow applying this mixture themselves daily on a back rubber and face flaps where as I would lightly spray their backs every 3 weeks or so. Seems like the daily backrubber application would do more harm if this was a real concern.

What's the difference I'm missing?

txfishing":14avbedr said:
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like some people claim it blisters the hide while others say no problem and have been doing it for years.

The container I bought didn't say anything about spraying it on. It did however say it was okay to mix with diesel or Mineral Oil for back rubbers, Face flaps etc... That's why I asked.

I don't see the difference in a cow applying this mixture themselves daily on a back rubber and face flaps where as I would lightly spray their backs every 3 weeks or so. Seems like the daily backrubber application would do more harm if this was a real concern.

What's the difference I'm missing?

The amount (volume) sprayed on verses rubbing.

The difference would be that on a rub instead of spraying is simply that the cows can apply the insecticide wherever they choose or where the cow is having a fly problem. The thing I like about diesel mixtures are that they make the insecticides much more effective through bad weather, for instance, alot of rain. The diesel helps to prolong the chemicals. I think you would find that you'll like the diesel, but keep it away from their faces, if they want it on the face, they'll rub it.

I also sprayed my cows with a Diesel fuel mixture once as they came down the chute. It worked well for the flies, but boy the cows sure did run around and around the pasture for the next 30 or 40 minutes. It didn't take me long to decide not to do that again.

I do use the diesel fuel mixture on all of my backrubs, The cows like them fine. I have my backrub positioned so the cows have to go under them to get to the water fountain. I've seen the cows stand under the backrubs and rock back and forth to use the rubs to scratch their backs.

Flies are not a problem any more.

We run cattle oilers - I think you folks call them "cattle rubbers" - they all contain diesel and insecticide mixed at the insecticide manufacturers' recommended ratio.

Cattle love them and it has caused no harmful effects that we have seen here.

Bez!

I use diesel in the rubs and as a spray on.

I only spray them when the flies are really thick and the rubs arent doing quite enough and then I only lightly mist them....staying away from the face.

Havent had any problems yet.

i think you could do it with out hurting your cattle if your careful, but why? you'll mess up the orings in your sprayer with the diesel. using water is very effective in spraying but dont last long on a backrub. the sun dryes them out where diesel last longer.

I bought and installed a rub a few weeks ago and the only insecticide I could find could not be mixed. It only lasted a few days used full strength. I finally found some that could be used with diesel but the directions say mix with #2 diesel. What is the difference between that and plain ol' pump diesel?

Latest posts