Didn't make a new friend today

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Had a change of routine this morning and found myself eating breakfast with some friends at a local coffee shop. There were two new guys there. One from New York and another a California transplant. The California guy started a conversation about food production and agriculture. He went off on a spiel about all the problems and the poor, unsafe, inhumane cultural practices used by the agriculture industry. I won't go into all this because I know you all have heard this garbage before. I tried to keep my mouth shut. I really did. Honestly I did but after about 20 minutes of listening to his spiel I had had enough and just looked him in the eye and asked him if he was joking or if he was really that stupid to believe this nonsense. Suffice it to say I didn't make a new friend today but I'm pretty sure the guy from New York saw the light. I suspect the California guy is still chasing unicorns though.

Not his lucky day--he just posted this on pinterest
7dbf0a813c28750adffd8cab7f1364a1.jpg

Maybe its just me, but I get so tired of hearing how we fill the cow troughs with antibiotics and how we abuse livestock and what a poor job we are doing raising food and fiber for the public. I don't know if educated the California guy or not since it seems no matter how big a hammer you use you can't beat sense into some. The other guy was able to connect the dots I think.

Jo
You know you did right.. People want to fight demons, and he was demonizing something he knew nothing about.

You did right..

Thanks HD. I could have handled it more tactfully and for that I feel bad but I did get my point across. Its sad that so many people are so far removed from the land and agriculture they are just clueless to what WE are all about. Barring a few bad apples, which I agreed existed, I think the agricultural community as a whole does a terrific job providing cheap calories to the masses.

Talking about abusing livestock some things that seem like abuse is the best thing for them the other day we had a cow go down in the milk barn and we put the hip hoist on to drag her out im sure she didn`t like it but it was a whole lot better for her then sitting in the manure on the cement

Most definitely but to the ignorant it would look like abuse. Abuse is a relative thing. I've seen cows kick calves and that same kick would send me to the hospital whereas the calf just trotted off unscathed. But smacking a cow with a stick would, to some, seem horrible.

Jogeephus":11ytdxvy said:
Most definitely but to the ignorant it would look like abuse. Abuse is a relative thing. I've seen cows kick calves and that same kick would send me to the hospital whereas the calf just trotted off unscathed. But smacking a cow with a stick would, to some, seem horrible.
Yeah. i know the people on this forum know this but im still going to say it YOU CAN NOT HURT A COW WITH A STICK

Good job Joe. If all the grocery stores in the U.S. just up and vanished like a fart in the wind tonight and food could not be "bought at the store" only two kinds of people would survive. Farmers/ranchers/hunters and thieves. And the thieves wouldn't last but a little while. I always liked the old saying "don't criticize a farmer with your mouth full"

Jogeephus":1mouz6yn said:
Maybe its just me, but I get so tired of hearing how we fill the cow troughs with antibiotics and how we abuse livestock and what a poor job we are doing raising food and fiber for the public.

That's the problem with painting everything with a broad stroke. The innocent sometimes become victims. :tiphat:

Jogeephus":2zdu1gn1 said:
Thanks HD. I could have handled it more tactfully and for that I feel bad but I did get my point across. Its sad that so many people are so far removed from the land and agriculture they are just clueless to what WE are all about. Barring a few bad apples, which I agreed existed, I think the agricultural community as a whole does a terrific job providing cheap calories to the masses.
While I abhor the giddy mindless part of facebook culture, I often wish that there were a like button here to easily show agreement with basic truths such as this, without having to go to the trouble of typing something like this up when I don't have anything else to add. We have a whole corral of stupid emoticons that most sensible people here, thankfully, don't lower themselves to use. What's wrong with turning on the like button feature? I've seen it on many other proboard forums.

ez14":dukdx0um said:
Jogeephus":dukdx0um said:
Yeah. i know the people on this forum know this but im still going to say it YOU CAN NOT HURT A COW WITH A STICK
In Massachusetts I have seen uniformed MSPCA officers standing inside the ring in paramilitary stance overseeing the oxen pulls to ensure that those evil ox teamsters with their horrible goad sticks don't abuse those poor defenseless "cows". I bet that you couldn't find one in ten in the audience who aren't fully in support of it, and I bet that not a single one of those officers would agree that one can't hurt a bovine with a stick. Their job depends on it, and their ability to convince the public that they need to be there to protect the animals from the abuse that they say is possible.

The population like this California guy would love to see all food production be outside of this country. I trust our producers and Canada, but I do not trust what comes from overseas.
Another part of the problem is the education system, please see a California man eating breakfast.
CSM

Status
Not open for further replies.