Did ya'll hear that about an hour ago?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
The blood curdling scream of a terrified woman child? Sorry, it was just me when I walked up on a big rattlesnake. Thank God the snake let me know it was there before I took another step or it would not have been a good day for me.

Not that it really matters but why do I feel so utterly naked when I'm wearing short pants and shoe boots and walk up on a rattlesnake? Its not like jeans would be of any help but for some reason they seem to give me some feeling of safety.

I walked across a hay field today that the grass was about 3 foot tall and was so scared every step i took.. we dont have rattlers but other snakes that bite.

Friend of mine was bit last week. He was 20 yards from his truck and took off running to the truck. He only made it about 10 yards before he was on the ground in agonizing pain. Thankfully he had his cell phone and the ambulance came out and gave him some anti-venom on the spot and carried him to the hospital where he was treated for three days before he could come home.

I knew today was a bad day for snakes so I stayed in the cotton patch where there was bare dirt but was tracking a blood trail to the woods. As soon as I got to the woods and exactly where the deer had gone into the brush lay the snake. It let off the warning which sent my daughter's boyfriend running for the truck and my daughter urging me to kill it.

I might have died from the heart attack, without even being bit. There is almost nothing I am more scared of than any kind of snake.

I was on the Georgia side fishing but the thunder was 2 loud to hear ya. I haven't seen any live rattlers this year yet. Did find a 10 or 11 ft gator this evening that I hope stays around till August. He let us get within 10 ft of him.

Was wondering what that funny noise was! ;-)

Missed killing my first rattle snake of the year. Only a 3 footer.

Jogeephus":5yc88uc9 said:
The blood curdling scream of a terrified woman child? Sorry, it was just me when I walked up on a big rattlesnake. Thank God the snake let me know it was there before I took another step or it would not have been a good day for me.

Not that it really matters but why do I feel so utterly naked when I'm wearing short pants and shoe boots and walk up on a rattlesnake? Its not like jeans would be of any help but for some reason they seem to give me some feeling of safety.

Canebrake Rattlesnake which is almost identical to our timber rattlesnake. Or as Roger Conant says in the Peterson Series, "A lowland counterpart of the Timber Rattler that is at home in cane thickets and swamplands of the South." The big Eastern Diamond Backs ranges across southern Georgia. How far south are you? If far south could have been either one. Too big for a Massasaugas.

I luv herfrds":hs1a2ie9 said:

Was near Plentywood, MT. We found an old adit. There were hundreds of rattlers coming out from hibernation. It was a sight to remember. With them were a few bull snakes. So seems they den together.

inyati13":3gwy0rkv said:
I luv herfrds":3gwy0rkv said:

Was near Plentywood, MT. We found an old adit. There were hundreds of rattlers coming out from hibernation. It was a sight to remember. With them were a few bull snakes. So seems they den together.

Sounds like you missed 100 opportunities to me. The only rattler I pass up are the ones that can get to cover before I can get back to them.

Jo, glad to hear you're OK, thought for a minute that it might have been one of our neighbors yelling at each other. Just remember, don't let the ole snakes sneak up on you like that.

inyati13":3qfl8ocl said:
I luv herfrds":3qfl8ocl said:

Please tell me you killed em all!

We had a den of them under the floorboards of an old Adobe on the ranch when i was a kid. Kerosene and a match took care of that little ball O snakes!

3waycross":321vjc97 said:
inyati13":321vjc97 said:
I luv herfrds":321vjc97 said:

Please tell me you killed em all!

We had a den of them under the floorboards of an old Adobe on the ranch when i was a kid. Kerosene and a match took care of that little ball O snakes!

No, we were on a rancher who had entered an agreement with the State to seal the old mine adit and include a culvert so the snakes would still have access to their den. But when the snakes dispersed in the spring and gathered up in the fall to go back, they crossed a nearby ranch and that guy shot as many as he could. There were empty shotgun hulls all over his place where he had shot snakes. This was back about 1984, so by now if they are still there, I would almost bet they are protected. Most states now have provisions for some degree of protection for rattlesnakes particularly their dens where they hibernate. I remember reading about a place in Illinois where they close a road to allow the rattlesnakes to cross when they are migrating to and from the den near the road.

I never kill a snake or any reptile/amphibian for that matter. In fact, it ruins my day if I hit a squirrel on the road. I hit a Cardinal the other day when it flew into the grill of my truck. I didn't like being the cause of that.

Jogeephus":33tua2ka said:

Allright we are going to have this talk one more time.
Jean's, boot's pistol in one hip pocket, wipeing paper's in the other.
Apply bullet to every rattlesnake you see. You will need the paper's for day's like today .
Shoot the dam sorry rattlesnake before cleaning up.
If I knew there was only one rattlesnake left on earth and where it was I would drive to it and send it to it's well deserved demise.

Jogeephus":1kv1tg7b said:
my daughter urging me to kill it.
I am glad to know that there is at least one in the family that knows snakes are for killing, not coloring. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I hope you followed your daughters wishes.
I would guess she takes after her mother. :nod:

Ryder":2398o6lz said:
Jogeephus":2398o6lz said:
my daughter urging me to kill it.
I am glad to know that there is at least one in the family that knows snakes are for killing, not coloring. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I hope you followed your daughters wishes.
I would guess she takes after her mother. :nod:

She wanted me to but by the time she got back with my pistol it had moved in the bushes too deep and the only way to flush him was to walk in the bushes and I wasn't about to put my feet where I couldn't see them.

Latest posts