Deworming ?

Help Support CattleToday:

coon hunter

Reaction score
I had a first calf heifer that was going down fast.So I took her to the vet it was worms. The Vet did a double up on her,two dewormers at the same time Valbazen and Cydection Injectable I'll let everyone know how it comes out.

I De wormed in April with Safeguard and a ivermectin pour on in the Fall but she sure had them .
What form of Safeguard did you use? I am more concerned about the pour-on. I am not sure it is getting the job done. I would use an injectable going forward and do not scrimp on the dose. One of the worst things you can do is not use enough and then you get resistant parasites.

Heifers are a blessing and a curse. Some people think if you start with heifers you can't have the normal problems others say you have nothing but problems.

if just one animal is wormy and doing poorly there may be something else wrong with her.
If she is wormy, good chance they are all wormy. Safeguard is good, the ivomec products have resistance. I'd redo them all with Safeguard. You can get it in your mineral so you don't have to rework them. If you are going to use Ivomec products, the injectable works best. You still will need to pour them in the fall with something for lice and grubs.

Is this the ONLY heifer of that age in your herd?? If not, my guess is she did not get the proper dose - or as mentioned, she has other problems making her more susceptible to the worms.
Or she just doesn't fit the system she is in. If all the others are fine, I would get her back in decent shape and send her to town.

If she is wormy, good chance they are all wormy. Safeguard is good, the ivomec products have resistance. I'd redo them all with Safeguard. You can get it in your mineral so you don't have to rework them. If you are going to use Ivomec products, the injectable works best. You still will need to pour them in the fall with something for lice and grubs.
If she is wormy, good chance they are all wormy.

Totally wrong. Worm resistance is an inherited trait and usually 10% of the livestock are producing 90% of the eggs on pasture. Select and cull. First calf heifers are the most vulnerable class of cattle in this discussion. The lack of full immunity and the pre-birth hormone changes set that up. We have not wormed anything over 3 YO in decades. I did not worm calves this year and did FECs at weaning. Less than 25% needed worming by the threshold limits. Those "need-to" animals got marked to go.

The problem with Safeguard in the mineral is ensuring that they get the correct dose. It can be hit or miss.
Studies (fecals) done on treating with pour-on Ivomec products showed 50% effective. With deworming in the mineral there is some protocol. Having them on a mineral program, taking that mineral away for a couple of days, putting out plenty of mineral feeders, puttting no other mineral out until it is cleaned up, then going back and doing fecals has shown 95% of the cattle were clean. So you can treat them all with a pour-on and get 50% of the worms, or put the mineral out and get 95% of them.

Dr. Don Bliss, parasiteologist, has said deworming orally is best and over several days, as what happens when using mineral with Safeguard. I have sat in at several of his meetings. I do believe he is one of the first to come out with studies showing cattle resistance to Ivomec products. Here is a link to his Mid America Labs Ag research.

Strategic deworming, in our area means 45 days after turn out, putting out Safeguard in the mineral (yes, it is available already mixed) deworms cows and calves and cleans up pastures. We have had many customers do that, then run fecals in the fall and the cattle are clean going into winter. So they don't need to deworm again at that time. When Ivomec was real expensive, this saved the producers money. The calves were heavier, too. Of course a pour on was needed for lice and grubs but a cheaper product could be used.

Can you use pour on and injectable at the same time they are in the chute? Would like the pour on benefits for flies and lice.
I've had this question before, and my sources say to be careful doubling up on ivomec products. So if you are giving the injectible ivomec, pour with Cylence or something different than an ivomec product, just so you don't overdose the ivomec.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts