• Pour-on

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I Never Deworm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
So,

I would love to hear everyone's strategy, favorite brands, and most importantly methods for deworming. I keep getting awful lice in the spring and want to think through my program. I've heard plenty of talk on here about ineffectiveness of pour on versus other methods etc. but thought it might be interesting if the conversation were had under one umbrella with a poll.

Spring drench with valbezan, fall injectable but I don;t recall which and too lazy to go look. Spring we pour with BOSS for flys and lice, fall we pour with Ultra BOSS for the cattle grubs.

Dectomax injectable in the fall, and Cydectin injectable in the fall. We have also used Safeguard blocks in the middle of summer. We use UltraSabre for flies and lice. I also mix up a 40% Permethrin solution up in a pump up hand sprayer. And last year we used Corathon ear tags, they seemed to work fairy well.

artesianspringsfarm":2ww0byxw said:
So,

I would love to hear everyone's strategy, favorite brands, and most importantly methods for deworming. I keep getting awful lice in the spring and want to think through my program. I've heard plenty of talk on here about ineffectiveness of pour on versus other methods etc. but thought it might be interesting if the conversation were had under one umbrella with a poll.

Ultra Saber takes care of lice real well and is fairly inexpensive.
As far as your poll goes I use three methods pour on, injection and medicated cube.
Injection is the only one that will get liver flukes.

I like the blocks every 4 months then will give a shot once a year...
I had a steer I gave a shot and had a block out and he still was wormy looking so I then got some eprinex and applied it stronger than what it should have been and now hes looking better and picking up weight.

Has anyone ever used Ivermectin and if so how did it work for them? Noticed it yesterday at TSC, about a third of the price as ivomec.

midTN_Brangusman":91d5brcx said:
Has anyone ever used Ivermectin and if so how did it work for them? Noticed it yesterday at TSC, about a third of the price as ivomec.
Buy it by the gallon it has the same active ingredient as Ivomec just the generic

A generic ivermectin should have the same active ingredient as Ivomec but what carrier does it have and is there a difference in formulas for Ivermectin? I don't know but I would think you usually get what you pay for.
As for me,I like to use drench and injectible as opposed to pour-on.I used (and sometimes still do) pour-on but I think all the conditions must be right.If I drench or inject ,I know where it is.I also don't trust a pour-on to get through the thick hair on a small calf's back. :2cents:

I'm a cheap you-know-what. BUT! I've seen too many studies (NOT funded by the drug companies) - illustrating pretty convincingly to me that - particularly with the ivermectin products... even though the generic may have a chemical analysis showing the same concentration of ivermectin as the name-brand Ivomec...efficacies are much poorer.
What good is it if you save a dollar (or $2 or $4...) per animal buying the cheap 'generic'... and it doesn't do anything when you give it at the recommended label dosage? What if you had to give 2 or 3X the label dosage to get the same effect... would it still be such a good deal?
Anymore, I only buy the original name-brand formulation... regardless of what class of dewormer it's in.

Pour-ons? Sure, they're easy to apply... but... they are possibly the least effective method of deworming. Even if you get it all on the cow, and none runs off onto the ground, it's really poorly absorbed - only about 30% of the applied dose actually gets where it needs to be to kill worms - and most of that gets there due to cows licking it off themselves and herdmates.

Using pour-on dewormers for fly control... is madness. I see folks recommending it here all the time... and some will say "I know it's probably not doing a very good job of deworming - but it gets the flies!" But... what it's also doing is selecting for a population of nematode parasites (worms) that are resistant to the class of anthelminthic drug in the pour-on.
If you ever need to use one of that group of drugs again for actual 'deworming'... it probably is not gonna work...
and what we're seeing with most of these parasites is that once you've selected for a population of worms that are resistant to the ivermectins &/or benzimidazoles (white wormers)... that resistance is there FOREVER. Resistance to levamisole seems to taper off over a 15-20 year period, and it may become useful on a premise again... but that appears not to be the case for the other two families of drugs.

Lucky_P":2al2gxtk said:
I'm a cheap you-know-what. BUT! I've seen too many studies (NOT funded by the drug companies) - illustrating pretty convincingly to me that - particularly with the ivermectin products... even though the generic may have a chemical analysis showing the same concentration of ivermectin as the name-brand Ivomec...efficacies are much poorer.
What good is it if you save a dollar (or $2 or $4...) per animal buying the cheap 'generic'... and it doesn't do anything when you give it at the recommended label dosage? What if you had to give 2 or 3X the label dosage to get the same effect... would it still be such a good deal?
Anymore, I only buy the original name-brand formulation... regardless of what class of dewormer it's in.

Pour-ons? Sure, they're easy to apply... but... they are possibly the least effective method of deworming. Even if you get it all on the cow, and none runs off onto the ground, it's really poorly absorbed - only about 30% of the applied dose actually gets where it needs to be to kill worms - and most of that gets there due to cows licking it off themselves and herdmates.

Using pour-on dewormers for fly control... is madness. I see folks recommending it here all the time... and some will say "I know it's probably not doing a very good job of deworming - but it gets the flies!" But... what it's also doing is selecting for a population of nematode parasites (worms) that are resistant to the class of anthelminthic drug in the pour-on.
If you ever need to use one of that group of drugs again for actual 'deworming'... it probably is not gonna work...
and what we're seeing with most of these parasites is that once you've selected for a population of worms that are resistant to the ivermectins &/or benzimidazoles (white wormers)... that resistance is there FOREVER. Resistance to levamisole seems to taper off over a 15-20 year period, and it may become useful on a premise again... but that appears not to be the case for the other two families of drugs.

Sets right by Meriks Ivomec at our local feed mill. When I ask the Meriks salesman what is the difference he hawed around it wasn't as good
I ask why he said it won't last as long, I replied neither does yours as the label states. He just got red faced and walked out.
Ivomec has been way over used for so long we now have resistance to it. Buying the expensive stuff is just throwing away money.
Worming has to be a multi pronged attack using differs methods from pour one to injection to ingestion, and you should rotate never using the same method in row IMO.
Shouldn't be using Ivomec for fly control in the first place.

Lucky_P":1mb5i34v said:

Thanks for your input.I agree.

Latest posts