despooking

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Read somewhere 'bout despooking horses from flashlights..sounds like a good idea to me.

flaboy?
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine ain't scared of no flashlights. Scared of everything else though.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This reminds me of when I brought home my then-new 3 y/o. We had picked her up after a Little Britches rodeo which ended around 6 pm so it was dark already. When we got her home and I unloaded her out of the trailer, I turned my flashlight on and, BOY, did she flip out. So I just had to use my awesome eyesight to navigate the corral safely. I didn't want to scare her more since she was in a totally new place. So yes, despooking horses of flashlights would be a good idea. You never know when you are going to have to use a flashlight and your horse freaks out.
-Angus Girl

peg4x4":2bnuplg7 said:
Read somewhere 'bout despooking horses from flashlights..sounds like a good idea to me.

Of all the horses I have had I have never had one scared of a flashlight. Probable because as colts in the winter they get fed at night with me using a flashlight for light.
Im thinking it wouldnt take to many nights of feeding some oats to get them thinking good things about a flashlight.

I had a Draft that was afraid of a flashlight. And yep, feeding him in the dark, plus poppin' the light on and off and rubbin' the lite flashlight on him, solved the problem.

My horse is not afraid of flashlights but he is spooked by camera flashes and cigerette lighters......go figure.

have a four yr old appy. last yr he had fun playing with the paper bags from shavings. thought it was fun to chase the other horse with it. they thought it was a munster coming after them, finally had to stop giving him the bags, the other horses weren't having fun with it :lol:

Ha, found out mine do not like the tape measure. They were fine with it until I started pulling the tape out. The one I had is really old and makes a lot of noise. They jumped and hauled fanny. I then started letting it roll itself up when they came back to me. They hauled fanny every time.

You know a lot it has to do with how a colt is started. Those first ten rides is when you really make an impression on a colt and establish what the deal is.
An older horse sure can be retrained but it takes longer. But its really the preparation that you put into the training that has a lot to do with how calm and accepting a horse is going to be about different things and things the horse has never seen before.
All horses are different. Some are way easier than others. But the way your horses are handled has a lot to do with how the horse is going to act.
Horses are like people in that you can shape and build their minds, attitudes and confidence.

Latest posts