Denver Stock Show ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker steve-

I haven't gone to the National Western Stock Show yet this year, but I have gone to it about fifteen times since the first time I attended with my Dad in 1937. There are so many valuable booths, activities, shows, performances, and livestock programs to view that one cannot make a decision as to which is the most enjoyable, but in my opinion, every person who is dedicated to improve their knowledge about the BASIC meaning of what it means to be an AMERICAN should come to the National Western Stock Show!

You will NEVER forget the things that you see and learn there!

Of course, my favorite part of the show is viewing the livestock, BEEF CATTLE in particular - the judging classes, and the ultimate Auction following each breeds portion of the show. Without bring maudlin, it always brings a strong feeling of pride and satisfaction to me when I leave the Show, and realize that THIS is what America and being an American is all about. One has to experience that emotion to understand what I mean! Not even our worthless so-called 'Government' can take that away from me!!

DOC HARRIS

I went last year and really enjoyed it.Unfortunately I am not making the trip this year. It is well worth going with so very much to see and do.

DOC HARRIS":30n0hihg said:
Stocker steve-

I haven't gone to the National Western Stock Show yet this year, but I have gone to it about fifteen times since the first time I attended with my Dad in 1937. There are so many valuable booths, activities, shows, performances, and livestock programs to view that one cannot make a decision as to which is the most enjoyable, but in my opinion, every person who is dedicated to improve their knowledge about the BASIC meaning of what it means to be an AMERICAN should come to the National Western Stock Show!

Of course, my favorite part of the show is viewing the livestock, BEEF CATTLE in particular - the judging classes, and the ultimate Auction following each breeds portion of the show. Without bring maudlin, it always brings a strong feeling of pride and satisfaction to me when I leave the Show, and realize that THIS is what America and being an American is all about. One has to experience that emotion to understand what I mean! Not even our worthless so-called 'Government' can take that away from me!!

DOC HARRIS

Very well said, DOC HARRIS. Not sure I can count how many times I've been, but this year will be a first for me - my daughter and a couple of her friends will be showing market goats. At least it will leave plenty of time for me to wander around anyway...

DLD":33abea0x said:
DOC HARRIS":33abea0x said:
Stocker steve-

DOC HARRIS

Very well said, DOC HARRIS. Not sure I can count how many times I've been, but this year will be a first for me - my daughter and a couple of her friends will be showing market goats. At least it will leave plenty of time for me to wander around anyway...
My first trip to Denver was 56 years ago to show some steers and boy there was some lessons learned! Went on through the O.Kuhlman days' in the polled hereford breed,saw more darn nurse cows, always was interested in nearly every thing that you could see and do and don't really regret any of it. That said I have no more desire to go anymore, come a time when fun and games just is to hard to do as a old man. Did'nt say,you notice, that I could'nt learn anymore. And I do agree it is a great wonder of the world and something to be proud of as a American, just as the Canadians are of The calgary shows. What can and is done by free people in agreat and free land.These maybe why the sincere and true heart of this continent are located throughout the breadbasket of our land.

My first trip to Denver would've been 31 years ago, in 1983. I was a senior in high school - I took a steer and 2 heifers and got along great. It was an awesome experience, one I'll never forget. We took some steers once when I was teaching ag, I think that would've been 1989 - we did very well that time, too. Another great memory. Since then I've been many times, some to help friends with show and sale cattle, some to buy bulls, some just to see the cattle. Never regretted one of those trips, though some of them were two days of driving for one day of stock show...

I can't imagine anyone in the cattle business not enjoying the show. My biggest recommendation is to try to see all that you can. Personally, I like the yards better than the hill. I love looking at those pens and carloads of bulls - thinking about all of the years of work and planning it takes to get there, not to mention just getting them ready to show... pretty impressive, to me at least. But that doesn't mean there's not tons to see on the hill, too

I'm going to be in Breckenridge skiing during the same time that the show is going on in Denver. If I can pry the rental care away from them one day I plan on going!

Kyle

I would give the show a big thumbs up. many years ago I attended the show on a fluke. Got stuck in Denver on a connecting flight and got snowed in. So it was either sit in the bar or see if I could make it to the show...lol.... I found a crazy cab driver and we set sail towards the show...It was a crazy ride but we made it.

I loved the show, you had all the breeds there at one time. That is something I hate about the Houston Livestock Show, they rotate the breeds through. Had a great time

The wife and I made our first NWSS last week. All the flights were over booked due to the game - - but the skiers and the stoners could not be delayed. I held out till till I got enough to Delta coupons to buy a cow, and then we went out for happy hour.
Make the NWSS Saturday AM. The crowd was a lot thicker than I like. We attended the one Hereford show, the Maine bull auction, and the Wild West Show. I saw a lot of nice Herefords, and some amazing cow girls heading for the rodeo. :cowboy:
Got up early on Sunday and did the Lariat Loop scenic drive, Buffalo Bill museums, and and Red Rocks Park. Made some new friends at the Front Range Inn to watch the game with. Should have brought some of my orange deer hunting duds!

Latest posts