Demand For Old Tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
http://m.startribune.com/for-tech-weary-midwest-farmers-40-year-old-tractors-now-a-hot-commodity/566737082/

Always wanted to refurbish a couple older tractors like my dad had.. I got to figuring cost and I would be underwater fast. Just putting new rubber on and a few other issues would do it.

jltrent said:
Always wanted to refurbish a couple older tractors like my dad had.. I got to figuring cost and I would be underwater fast. Just putting new rubber on and a few other issues would do it.

Like a lot of hobbies you better be doing it for the enjoyment not for profit.

Kinda like raising cattle.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
jltrent said:

Like a lot of hobbies you better be doing it for the enjoyment not for profit.

Kinda like raising cattle.
Very good statement as the cattle hobby can get expensive.

I read that article this morning. I have always been a fan of the old iron. The small stuff (M Farmall 800 ford), the bottom has fallen out of. The big stuff is holding strong and increasing in value. I run antiques. I've got one 68 years old, thats my chore tractor. It probably sees use 340 days a year. My newest tractor is an '07. I have spent more on it, than the purchase price. Makes me sick to think about it.

My brother has 2 Kubota cab tractors, and a new holland open station. All are very new. He runs about 20 cows.

I just bought a property that came with a 1970 Kubota. I was getting it ready to junk it but our contractor stopped me and said it was a gem. Just last week we had 3 neighbours come and ask if they could buy it. Turns out it is easy to sell and actually worth a lot more than I would of expected.

I bought used last year and this year decided against swapping for new on another one.....bet you can't guess why? I think the usable ones up into Tier 2, maybe some in 3 will be in high demand before you know it. Only limiting factor would be how to pay for it unless it comes from a dealer. Man to man would surely limit the buyers on the more expensive equipment, for the most part I'd think. Course if he's retired and has some booty stashed, that would solve that problem.

cowgal604 said:
I just bought a property that came with a 1970 Kubota. I was getting it ready to junk it but our contractor stopped me and said it was a gem. Just last week we had 3 neighbours come and ask if they could buy it. Turns out it is easy to sell and actually worth a lot more than I would of expected.

Jesus....do not do things like that, and the older us and uk stuff are still reliable useable and saleable tractors...

greybeard said:
I have one that is as old or older than I am, and I'm pushing 70. It probably runs better than me.
Ford 8n

It will be here when we are all gone....and just as able today

The last cattle sales report I seen for around here it would take about four tractor trailer loads to pay for a new 50 horse tractor....and that might not do it when you really figure input cost closely...Then the extra short/long term maintenance for one of the fully emission-ed clogged up newbies would probably take another tractor trailer load to keep going after warranty expires...I would like to have another plain Jane used pre-tier 40-50 horse tractor, but in good condition want come cheap...A scary thing about these older tractors are it seems these companies have no interest in continuing manufacturing parts for them.

I have a 60s Aussie built tractor and a Jap 80s tractor 4wd....guess which one gets to do any ground work...both are 40hp

The Jap one is good, much better brakes are main diff, but the 60s era is a tank....almost literally

The biggest prob is manufacturers and dealers are looking to have a hand in your pocket and there is not enough tractors to break free from that system, unlike with cars, it started like that, but there is enough demand that aftermarket work arounds stop most of this, enough knowledge that it is not an issue. The standards allowing cheap diagnostics also. I can plug in a 10 buck device, tractors should have this too, maybe they will be forced to change by lack of sales ?

Somone should pressure them all to a standard too....

Our 1952 grey fergy gets used every day, breaths more smoke out the oil cap than the exhaust but never misses a beat. I like old tractors as you can actually fix them! I collect walk behind howard equipment, have about thirty machines now......maybe a few more but don't tell the wife!!!

Redgully said:
Our 1952 grey fergy gets used every day, breaths more smoke out the oil cap than the exhaust but never misses a beat. I like old tractors as you can actually fix them! I collect walk behind howard equipment, have about thirty machines now......maybe a few more but don't tell the wife!!!
I restored this old Ariens tiller a while back

I collect chainsaws

You have done a stella job on that Ariens. I am resisting the urge to start collecting chainsaws, i have four but they were given to me. I have a 1960s mculloch that my dad bought new. He gave it to a friend for parts for his but he never used it, couple of years ago asked me if i wanted it. Glad to have it back. Now just got to get the time to fix them all. On the orchard we have a husqvarna 395xp, that thing has more power than it knows what to do with.

greggy said:
I have a 60s Aussie built tractor and a Jap 80s tractor 4wd....guess which one gets to do any ground work...both are 40hp

The Jap one is good, much better brakes are main diff, but the 60s era is a tank....almost literally

The biggest prob is manufacturers and dealers are looking to have a hand in your pocket and there is not enough tractors to break free from that system, unlike with cars, it started like that, but there is enough demand that aftermarket work arounds stop most of this, enough knowledge that it is not an issue. The standards allowing cheap diagnostics also. I can plug in a 10 buck device, tractors should have this too, maybe they will be forced to change by lack of sales ?

Somone should pressure them all to a standard too....
Greggy, what is the Australian built one?
I have a Chamberlain C670. It is 70 hp but was when they measured them against Clysdales, not the ponies they do these days.

Ken

Well, it is not that much of a tank !

It is an old International....they built them in Geelong.

Glow plug wiring is burnt out, but it starts easier than the Jap one unless it is below 10 degrees and had no sun....

But it is like a bulldog.

Just lacks a handbrake and good brakes, I will admit the 2 stage clutch for pto not as nice as the ones with a switch....can have you concentrating when on a slope and trying to use post hole digger 😀

I feel the PTO and box etc are all much heavier though, the castings are all larger...etc

I wonder what the current Mahindras are like ..... they are based off the old Massey tractors I believe....maybe they are less complex of a compact tractor.

I collect older tractors myself. 2 cylinder Deere stuff. If someone was looking to get into the hobby to make money don't. The only tractors that bring good money are low production stuff. 500 or less produced. Some of those are dropping depending on the model. Original tractor still bring pretty good money. Your common everyday stuff is dirt cheap. I'll keep buying them as I have the funds because I do enjoy using them and working on them when I can.

Latest posts