Dehorning

Help Support CattleToday:

i would say at weaning or before. to minimmize the blood loss depending on the method used. jmo

SkinMan":1pkeb1bi said:
At what age is it best to dehorn my heifers? I have a few that are 10 to 12 months old with horns around 8 inches long.

The sooner the better. The best thing, IMO, is to use a polled bull. Most breeds have them.

SkinMan":1dyw8sxe said:
At what age is it best to dehorn my heifers? I have a few that are 10 to 12 months old with horns around 8 inches long.

you can dehorn as young as two weeks old. waiting too long can be even harder because you cant use a iron dehorner,b ut now must use a barnes dehorner.

You are late - now it will set them back.

Do it before they turn one month.

If you have not done it and you want to do it now - you better have someone else do it.

Look up this topic on "search" - I am too tired to write yet again another explanation on how to do it.

Best bet for you - spend the money and have a veterinarian do it. Guarantees you do not lose one to infection, fly strike or blood loss.

Regards

Bez>

Daisy452":2fgiocx3 said:
SkinMan":2fgiocx3 said:

you can dehorn as young as two weeks old. waiting too long can be even harder because you cant use a iron dehorner,b ut now must use a barnes dehorner.

We used the barnes dehorner on my calf a few years back it worked really well. But we still used the iron dehorner just to cauterize the wound. Never had a horn grow back after that but we dehorn when they're about 2 to 3 weeks old.

At that age I would also suggest a vet or professional dehorner. It's not a job for a "newbie" at that age.

If you can get them dehorned as soon as the horn cap clears the hair, that's the best time. Less stress on the calf as well.

SkinMan":25wf5iny said:

The sooner the better. The shorter the horns are, the less it sets them back. Dehorning with horns 8" long is going to be ugly, and it will take them a while to recover from it. Unless these are heifers purchased at the salebarn, you might want to consider using a polled bull in the future.

Well , not being as old and tired as Bez, here is a link to just one of his many lectures on dehorning. Randilianna put some excellent links in there as well.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =dehorning

The only thing I might say is that I have never had to pick the veins to stop bleeding if using the burning iron, but it is a great thing to know how to do if the burner goes south or hydro goes out.

Hundreds of lines of thought on age/method used, around here horned ( horney) cattle get done at weaning along with everything else ( castrate if needed,vax, etc...).
Gougers or shears depends on the size of the base of the horns.( Haven't tried the wire saw yet ).
Once through the chute for everything.
Dehorning done last, as once in a while they go down.

ALX

AngusLimoX":gsa0d5eh said:
I thought only boy cows had horns?

Whats a boy cow??? :lol: :lol: I have NEVER seen a boy cow, that just isnt possible!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So did you think all those long horns were all "boy cows"?

Im sorry!

Katy

Canadian_Cowgirl":ayl09wca said:
AngusLimoX":ayl09wca said:

Whats a boy cow??? :lol: :lol: I have NEVER seen a boy cow, that just isnt possible!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im sorry!

Katy

It's the beginners board and you and Daisey are a pickin on me!! :( :(

Waaa Waaa, mommy they are bein mean to me, waa waaa

I love new toys. :lol: :lol:

ALX

AngusLimoX":2r0rqjd9 said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":2r0rqjd9 said:
AngusLimoX":2r0rqjd9 said:

Im sorry!

Katy

It's the beginners board and you and Daisey are a pickin on me!! :( :(

Waaa Waaa, mommy they are bein mean to me, waa waaa

I love new toys. :lol: :lol:

ALX

Im confussed, whats your new toy?? Im also guessing you knew that its the breed not the sex which determines who is horned! :)

Katy

Canadian_Cowgirl":16s9hepp said:
It's the beginners board and
Im confussed, whats your new toy?? Im also guessing you knew that its the breed not the sex which determines who is horned! :)

Katy

What is confussed? :lol: You watch out in here cause there's lots of speeling champs.

Is it always the breed? Or does the jeans they have on have anything to do with it? :lol:

ALX

Back to the original question. I agree with what Dun once said here, "I like to dehorn 283 days before they are born."

That works best for me.

Latest posts