DEFENSE BULLYING REPORT (UNCLASSIFIED)

Help Support CattleToday:

Tommy Ruyle

Reaction score
A recent report by the DOD Inspector General's Office has found that allegations of "a culture of widespread bullying and brutality" within DOD are, in the most part, unfounded. The audit team, which traveled to every Defense establishment across the USA and abroad and interviewed staff from all services, found surprisingly few cases of unfair treatment and bullying within the Army, Navy and Marine Corps.

When it came to the Air Force, however, the report told a different story. Complaints to the DOD IG came from a total of 3,555 Air Force members, compared with three from Navy and just one from Army.

While this statistic is alarming in its own right, it becomes horrific when one considers that each complaint represents a sad story of abuse, mistreatment and neglect. As one senior Air Force officer put it, "Each story is, in itself, a sad indictment on the US Air Force. When taken as a whole, however, they demonstrate a reprehensible lack of regard for personnel on the part of managers at all levels."

One young pilot told of having to spend two nights in tented accommodations, despite the fact that there was an empty five-star hotel just one mile away.

Another said that he had been forced to endure a grueling fitness test every year since he joined in 1997.

One airwoman alleged that she had been overlooked for promotion on numerous occasions, simply because she was fat, lazy and stupid.

An aircraft maintenance technician stated he had been refused permission to wear civilian attire to work, despite the fact that his uniform clashed with his eye color.

Another had been forced to wear uncomfortable safety boots for periods of up to eight hours straight.

A clerk could not understand why she had been sent to work in a Joint military headquarters, "I have been forced to work for horrible Army people who just don't understand what the military is all about. I feel the Air Force has victimized me by forcing me to do this... I will be seeking compensation..."

Shockingly, Air Force senior ranks are also subject to mistreatment. One SNCO stated, "I was deeply upset when I was addressed as 'Sergeant' by an officer. He knew my name was Robert. It was just horrible - I have never been more humiliated in my life." In response a senior officer stated, "the officer in question has been moved on...".

A number of personnel complained of having to attend courses that were not relevant to their jobs, such as rigorous ground combat courses and drawn-out lectures on occupational health and safety and environmental protection. To add insult to injury, a young airman was even ordered to pack up chairs in the classroom after one such course.

The huge backlash against treatment of Air Force personnel should provide senior officers with a vital clue with regard to the massive retention problems experienced by the USAF in recent times. Over the past two years, the Defense Department has spent millions looking into the issue.

Not all of the Air Force's hierarchy, however, was upset by the revelations. Said the outgoing Chief of the Air Force, "I'm delighted with the result. I am very happy that our retention problems are due, in the most part at least, to something as harmless as bullying. I thought everyone was leaving because of me." :D