Deerproof Garden

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime

Reaction score
P1010982.jpg

You didn't forget to put a gate somewhere so YOU can get in did you? Looks like it might get the job done. When you get free time head up this way and bring your materials with you. I have several hay yards that need deer proofing.

I made a walk through gate. It's only a quarter acre fenced, worked with a walk behind tiller and a push planter. This was an experiment to see if it'd work. It did, this pic was taken right before I planted it back in April. Not a single deer or rabbit got in it. If I was doing a bigger place I'd stack two 16 foot gates so I could get the tractor through. I wish I'd made the walk through gate big enough to get the riding lawn mower in. Garden's finished now, picked the last of the okra this morning. Best thing for it now would be to mow it down. Now I have to weed eat down the part of it I'm going to use the soil solarization experiment on.

That's quite impressive. Don't guess anyone has ever accused you of being stubborn, strong willed or determined in nature have they? ;-) :lol: :lol:

Jogeephus":3tf3u6az said:
That's quite impressive. Don't guess anyone has ever accused you of being stubborn, strong willed or determined in nature have they? ;-) :lol: :lol:
:D That, along with a few more adverbs and adjectives!

We use a 10 joule fence charger with two 14 ga wires. One is set twelve inches from the ground and the other is set at thirty-six inches from the ground. It works real well for us, but we still have problems with the rabbits. Whitetail deer are pests, but at least they're good eating.

highgrit":2msiol82 said:
We use a 10 joule fence charger with two 14 ga wires. One is set twelve inches from the ground and the other is set at thirty-six inches from the ground. It works real well for us, but we still have problems with the rabbits. Whitetail deer are pests, but at least they're good eating.
Electric fence used to work here, highgrit. Had a garden for many years without any deer intrusions with just the kind of setup you're describing. The deer here have evolved in such a way that they now completely ignore it. I've seen them go through it, over it, and under it. Now, the shock doesn't bother them in the least. It is totally ineffective.

As long as the electric fence works for you, keep on using it. It's a lot less hassle than what I have pictured. :D

Jogeephus":13hcp66i said:
Was thinking about this while killing some bahia grass outta my coastal hayfield this morning and remembered my grandaddy used to say I had a hard head and a tough ass. Daddy just said I was hardheaded. :D

I saw a setup a few months ago that had electric wires spaced about fifteen inches apart going up about eight feet.

He was trying to keep deer out of his sweet potaotes but the patch was nearly as big as why you pictured.

the fellow said it was working pretty well at the time.

pdfangus":2eyh4o9w said:
I saw a setup a few months ago that had electric wires spaced about fifteen inches apart going up about eight feet.

He was trying to keep deer out of his sweet potaotes but the patch was nearly as big as why you pictured.

the fellow said it was working pretty well at the time.
pd, the deer here would jump right through that like it wasn't there. I made one like that about six feet high. Some would go over it, but most through it. I even alternated hot and ground wires to make sure the deer would be touching hot and ground at the same time. Waste of time. The deer didn't care.

ga.prime":1rwd07rs said:
Jogeephus":1rwd07rs said:
Was thinking about this while killing some bahia grass outta my coastal hayfield this morning and remembered my grandaddy used to say I had a hard head and a tough ass. Daddy just said I was hardheaded. :D

Yes, the pictures and the situation had some sort of personal familiarity I recognized right off the bat. :nod:

I may be asking you some design tips shortly. Deer destroyed my gardens this year. Even ate my jalepeno peppers!

Jogeephus":17wvoete said:
ga.prime":17wvoete said:
Jogeephus":17wvoete said:

Yes, the pictures and the situation had some sort of personal familiarity I recognized right off the bat. :nod:

I may be asking you some design tips shortly. Deer destroyed my gardens this year. Even ate my jalepeno peppers!
Grasshoppers and squirrels got mine. The deer only trimmed the beans a bit.

:D Novatech, squirrels went in mine too. The only thing they were after was the leftover ears of corn after it had dried down. Now I'm seeing corn shucks all over the landscape. I can live with that.

Nice set up, I see quite a few something like that around this area. I've been laboring in the garden so much lately, I think I'm going to let the deer in. There are only so many green beans a person can take....

Fred Belknap":3i2c67yp said:
I use electric fence and put some peanut butter on it in several places. The idea is the deer get shocked and learn to stay away. It seems to work.
Fred

I tried that but it just hurt too bad putting the peanut butter on the wire. :oops: ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

Jogeephus":2id98pjv said:
Fred Belknap":2id98pjv said:
I use electric fence and put some peanut butter on it in several places. The idea is the deer get shocked and learn to stay away. It seems to work.
Fred

I tried that but it just hurt too bad putting the peanut butter on the wire. :oops: ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

Hurts like hell when you get hungry too...... :lol: