Deer Valley Old Hickory

Help Support CattleToday:

Know a few of the owners of the bull. They are really excited by how well his first calf crop have performed. I personally haven't seen any, but his epds are outstanding. I like how he has big time performance numbers but also has a reasonable $E score.. Too soon to put much stock into his numbers, though.

Have seen some bulls that are 15 months old, I liked them. Good muscle and depth of body. Good top lines and hips. Not too tall or short. I have a 4 month bull calf by him now, have not dna'd him yet but he is a chunk and keeps growing well.

I have a calf out of him as well and like what I've seen as well. It's still to early to tell but I like him so far.

Does anyone have an update on how his calves are turning out? Trying to find a quality Weigh Up son to sample.

Something REALLY changed on his new numbers...like huge. There is no way a 30 milk bull can be a +1 on $EN. In the Select Sires Catalog from this spring, he was a 29 milk and a negative 17 $EN.

Soooo, once again, the shell game begins. What numbers you used to know and understand are all changing. Does anyone have any idea what happened here and why it would change so dramatically?

Horned Frog,

I can tell you from the EPD changes on my herd bull that something wonky happened with the $en numbers. My bull went from -10, which I think is kinda median for the breed, to -27 overnight. I can't say for sure that the numbers are that predictable, but I can say that crazy changes like that are a bit ridiculous. My bull is a Rampage son out of a Predestined cow, just FYI.

I'm curious if there was some new information that changed one of the widely used sires like Rampage and changed a huge portion of EPD's.

hornedfrogbbq said:
Something REALLY changed on his new numbers...like huge.
There is no way a 30 milk bull can be a +1 on $EN.
Soooo, once again, the shell game begins.... (otherwise) why would it change so dramatically?
Mature cow height bottom 20%
Mature cow weight bottom 25% (lowers the cost of feeding year round)
which drags down the effect of his Milk top 20% (not to mention his milk accuracy is .35)
$EN -3 is breed average
sooo a $4 net difference to $EN 1 is a real shell game.... :roll:

(height & weight heritability is 3-4x higher than milk)

hornedfrogbbq said:
Something REALLY changed on his new numbers...like huge. There is no way a 30 milk bull can be a +1 on $EN. In the Select Sires Catalog from this spring, he was a 29 milk and a negative 17 $EN.

Soooo, once again, the shell game begins. What numbers you used to know and understand are all changing. Does anyone have any idea what happened here and why it would change so dramatically?
So could you tell a difference in your bull after the change in numbers? Did his calves get worse or stay the same?

hornedfrogbbq said:
.... numbers you used to know and understand are all changing.
I know, I'm old and hate change too...
But the most important numbers to know when using epds is current breed average and
how do the epd numbers of the animal in question deviate from breed average.

But the most important numbers to know when using epds is current breed average and
how do the epd numbers of the animal in question deviate from breed average.
This elementary concept appears to be vastly overlooked/ignored.

I looked at 2 sons today that sell Sat. Does anyone have any new input on him and his progeny? Any input on avg frame size of his sons?

I thought about using him last year on my heifers but after discussing him with my SS rep I decided against him. My rep was not impressed with him. He knows what I like, so I took his advice.

VaCowman said:
I thought about using him last year on my heifers but after discussing him with my SS rep I decided against him. My rep was not impressed with him. He knows what I like, so I took his advice.

Did he say why he wasn't impressed.

I went to the sale yesterday to bid on the fall yearling son and to evaluate him again. He was the main attraction in that pen from the good commercial cattlemen. He brought 7,500 and the yearling 6,000.00. The only 2 in the sale but the breeder said they will be using him heavier. Then talked to 2 breeders who weren't at the sale but said they had reps and sale consultants contact them saying were really good and he would be worth using. One told me he was ordering semen. IMO he sires what the commercial cattleman in this area needs and desires.

He has a pedigree that says watch the feet and the epds confirm it.

W.B. said:
He has a pedigree that says watch the feet and the epds confirm it.

The 2 I saw had good feet and legs. I know that is a very small sample. I'm real leery of AI sired calves as I've seen too many bad feet and legs. Also having been a horse shoer feet and legs are the first thing I look at.

Does anyone have any new information? I've found some semen I can buy at a bargain. I'm looking for semen to use on commercial cows. His semen is within our price range

Latest posts