Deer Rifles

Help Support CattleToday:

mtncows

Reaction score
Now that the general firearms season is open in Va,I more curious as to what my fellow cattlemen carry for whitetail deer.I use a.30/30 Marlin for the mountain stuff and a .30/06 in the fields .

I use a 14" contender pistol in 30-30 for the close work, and a remington 700 in 270 for the longer shots.
Mac

MillIronQH":1jzuxtve said:
30-30 model 94 with iron sights. I haven't had a shot over 60 yards in ten years.Z

Great gun with sights set top to top. My problem is my eyes. I can no longer see the back sight.

I have to drive clear across the state to hunt whitetails but the Ruger M-77 30-06 seems to work fine for blacktail, mulies, and whitetails.

Browning 270 A bolt, medallion series. Tasco World Class Scope. My husbands favorite set up, only it's mine, all mine!!! He shoots either a Rem 30-06 or a 25-06, depends on his mood. Kids have a 270, 30-30, 243 and one of them shoots some Russian model. ;-)

we are in louisa county, Virginia, and all that is legal for hunting is a shotgun. For varmint i use a .44 Mag Henry. trajectory like a rainbow! :lol: :cboy:

Marlin 30/30 lever with open sights. Dropped a gawdawful 10-point buck in his tracks yesterday morning from maybe 40 yards out. Hit him in the left shoulder and found the slug hung under the hide of the right shoulder.. It's not the most powerful rifle ever, but that's plenty good enough to get the job done.

Somebody close by, however, was using something decidedly more modern... He made himself known just at dusk, when all the idiots decide it's more pragmatic to go ahead and unload on trees and rocks than it is to pack that cumbersome half-pound of ammo all the way back to the truck.. I was standing in the barn cleaning mine when whoever it was let loose three distinct bursts of smallish-caliber automatic weapons fire. And, no, this was not somebody with a really fast trigger finger playing with an SKS.. This was automatic weapons fire.

I thought about calling it in, but then thought, what's the point?? What would I tell them? "It came from that way..somewhere..I think.." :roll:

Me- Bolt action Weatherby in .300 WBY MAG (Luepold Vari XIII)
Son- Bolt action Rem 700 in .243 WIN
Son- Lever action Winchester in 30-30 WIN

Additional tools in the cabinet- .22 Hornet, Marlin .22 mag, .44 MAG rifle Iron sights for a scabbard gun and multiple scatter guns.