Deer Eating Up My Ryegrass Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
I planted about 8 acres of TAM90 ryegrass back in late October. It was slow coming up because we didn't have much rain in Fall/early Winter, but now it has come in pretty thick. I've fertilized it, but it's not getting very high. I've noticed some deer in a part of the pasture that I can see from the barn in the early evening, but tonight I went out in the pasture with a spotlight and counted 17 deer having a friggin feast on my cow's ryegrass. Expensive deer feed! :roll:

Caustic Burno":1paiwsfh said:
Flashlight, Firearm, Freezer paper, Frying Pan, Flush.

CB, are you sure you're not a closet Baptist preacher? Five points starting with the same letter would be the start of a good sermon.

skyline":1k8w3lt8 said:
Caustic Burno":1k8w3lt8 said:
Flashlight, Firearm, Freezer paper, Frying Pan, Flush.

CB, are you sure you're not a closet Baptist preacher? Five points starting with the same letter would be the start of a good sermon.

Have been known to preach a time or two, I do believe in the Almighty just of a little more hardshell persuasion.

We get loaded up with deer too. After the hog invasion for a couple of years, I no longer mind the deer eating the winter forage.

had me some fine back strap for dinner tonight salt pepper and flat grill mmm :heart:

skyline":3kntjk60 said:
I planted about 8 acres of TAM90 ryegrass back in late October. It was slow coming up because we didn't have much rain in Fall/early Winter, but now it has come in pretty thick. I've fertilized it, but it's not getting very high. I've noticed some deer in a part of the pasture that I can see from the barn in the early evening, but tonight I went out in the pasture with a spotlight and counted 17 deer having a friggin feast on my cow's ryegrass. Expensive deer feed! :roll:

Know what you are talking about. Last evening form the front of the house counted 31 does 8 bucks from behind saw 12. Not hungry enough to to eat them. When I moved here 30+ years ago if you saw a deer someone was chasing it. Now all my neighbors are vegetarians. If you let someone hunt all they want is horns. If they start talking about big horns tell them to come back about April an pick them up off the ground. If they want meat go kill a truck load.

We had the same problem last winter. Bought a device called Phantom Deterrent. Do a Google search. It kept them out. Makes a hissing sound like a cougar. Runs off AA batteries. Only operates at night. PM me if you need more info.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":1ice92yi said:
We had the same problem last winter. Bought a device called Phantom Deterrent. Do a Google search. It kept them out. Makes a hissing sound like a cougar. Runs off AA batteries. Only operates at night. PM me if you need more info.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

The only thing I want them to be scared of is my pocket knife and sausage grinder.

I gots me what I think is a Phantom Deterrent.

It barks here and bites waaaaaaay out yonder.

Plus you can't see it between the bark and the bite. :???:

Aggravating varmits make me want to do a little cussin' ........

Those beautiful "Bambi" creatures are nothing more than a pack of wild goats. My wife however, thinks they are the most beautiful thing on the face of the earth. I see them as nothing but a pest eating our hard work.

The sausage grinder is an excellent place for them. :D

Sounds like your shooting ability is about as good as mine. :lol: Can't hit the broad side of the barn? I still take shots at them , possibily hit some, and it seems to deter them somewhat. Kentucky recently released some red wolves to help with the deer population , but can you figure what other problems it is going to cause? :x

If you don"t like deer try rocky mountian elk. They eat way more than a deer and tear the heck out of fences. And they are protected here in north Arkansas.

Another thing about living up here in the tundra. :D Is our winter rye and wheat is under snowpac till June. :roll:

Latest posts