Deep frying turkey

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
For those who deep fried their turkeys yesterday and had sticker shock from how much the oil cost to do the frying, is their a way to preserve the oil till Christmas and reuse it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :help:

I haven't figured out a way. Some say putting it in the freezer, but I think it will still turn rancid. It's better to fry a few more turkeys and freeze them than to try and hold on to the oil.

Strain it and put it back in the jug. Store in the house. We keep ours that way and only buy oil twice a year. We use canola oil.

Depends on the type of oil & how hot it got. If it reached it's smoke point don't bother.
Strain it through a towel or cheesecloth and keep it sealed in a cool, dark place.
Check it a few days before you want to use it again. If it's still good, use it and you saved a bunch of money. If it's rancid, it'll smell nasty and you'll have to buy new.

The better you filter it the longer it will last. I have had customers who only changed their oil 3 times in a summer but they filtered every hour with diatamaceous earth and added fresh oil every day.

Filter the crap out of it and keep it very cool until Christmas it should be fine! BTW the D earth picks up the polymers and takes them out of the oil. Thats the sticky stuff from chicken or turkey fat!

They pour it in and it picks up the polymers then they run it thru a paper filter. You can do the same thing. The commercial filters use a paper filter that they sprinkle with DE then suck the oil thru it. Use a tea towel and a china cap or the french call it a shin wah(sp.)

3waycross":2tjqbb1l said:
They pour it in and it picks up the polymers then they run it thru a paper filter. You can do the same thing. The commercial filters use a paper filter that they sprinkle with DE then suck the oil thru it. Use a tea towel and a china cap or the french call it a shin wah(sp.)

I have to pass this along to some friends that fry a lot of birds when they are out camping, will save them a heck of a lot of money . Who would have thought to use DE and a chinois .
Thanks 3way :tiphat:

Or after your done filtering it dump it in your diesel truck at a ration 1 gallon oil to 4 gallons diesel. More diesel to the ration in really cold climates

hooknline":2r4vl4r3 said:
Or after your done filtering it dump it in your diesel truck at a ration 1 gallon oil to 4 gallons diesel. More diesel to the ration in really cold climates

Will it guarantee me better fuel mileage . ;-)

hooknline":9sksmhe8 said:

I just paid a little over $3200 to replace some injectors in my 07 Duramax. It was hammered into me the importance of using the newer low sulphur fuel, I'll skip the fuel savings and stay to buying my diesel at the gas stations.

cowboy43":13d8mq97 said:
For those who deep fried their turkeys yesterday and had sticker shock from how much the oil cost to do the frying, is their a way to preserve the oil till Christmas and reuse it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :help:

Don't try to preserve, just start frying the chit out of everything in your fridge and freezer.

Alan":6zb2hivf said:
hooknline":6zb2hivf said:

I just paid a little over $3200 to replace some injectors in my 07 Duramax. It was hammered into me the importance of using the newer low sulphur fuel, I'll skip the fuel savings and stay to buying my diesel at the gas stations.
Ulsd is lower on lubrication than previous fuels. Sulphur itself is a lubricant to the injectors.
Veggie oil and biodiesel actually increases the lubrication properties of fuel. I put 80k miles on my truck using 100% biodiesel for 2 years straight. On a 2004 ford 6.0
The ratio I suggested wont harm a thing but may actually help. I consulted on some large bio producing facilities and helped develop a few new techniques an processes for the making of higher quality biodiesel and higher yields.
It was just a suggestion though

ga.prime":204h2ik7 said:
MistyMorning":204h2ik7 said:
Don't try to preserve, just start frying the chit out of everything in your fridge and freezer.
Dang right, and have french fries every day.

Hubby says to buy a chitt load of snickers , batter them and deep fry them . :help: :lol2:

hillsdown":a28lurm5 said:
3waycross":a28lurm5 said:

I have to pass this along to some friends that fry a lot of birds when they are out camping, will save them a heck of a lot of money . Who would have thought to use DE and a chinois .
Thanks 3way :tiphat:

Thanks Hillsdown you just increased my French vocabulary by 100%. BTW just make sure the oil is cooled down to WARM before handling it.

Alan":3hyg6kg4 said:
hooknline":3hyg6kg4 said:

An 07 can handle the older fuel, we can't get anything but ulsd in 15ppm anyway. I'm having to use some bio in the summer in the irrigation motors because they can't handle the dry ulsd.

Latest posts