declining young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Brookman

Reaction score
Our herd bull, Polled Hereford, has had the runs since the grass flushed. Thought nothing much about it, since several of our other cows were loose, too. But he hasn't really firmed up, and loosing weight now. The grass is top notch, clover mixed, fescue, lespedeza, etc. (south missouri mixed grass)
He's had antibiotics a few times for foot rot, so if he has acidosis, would he lose weight? Vet suggests Johnes-without a blood test is uncertain. But he's usually thrifty, only a 4 yr old. Gosh, hate to lose him by way of the sale barn. Will Temp him tomorrow,but he's already had LA200, as a precaution when he had the runs so bad, say in the last 30 days. Any thoughts? Thanks

He's currently with the 10 mama cows,after covering our 6 heifers-sort of back & forth between pastures til all settled. He's been wormed, but how recently escapes me, (I'm at a different computer, no real record in fromt of me ) but I'd say last summer/early fall. Ivomec pour on. Like all of them. I guess hardware is a possibllity, but really try to keep stuff like that picked up- I'm a stickler on it.I read a post further on down,mentioning acidocis, makes me wonder. My vet just had bypass surgery,so is out of pocket for a while.

That's not recently enough to do him any good anymore... I'd worm him again.

Acidosis is usually a temporary problem, with the exception of animals on high grain diets who have a mild, chronic case of ruminal acidosis brought on by the high grain ration. Under normal conditions, the animal's system will balance itself out given time (24+ hours). In severe cases you either treat the animal or they go down and die within a short time.

The vet said MO university doesn't do the quicker fecal test, the blood test can take up to 90-110 days. Im of the mind he could continue to lose alot of salvage weight by then. Hoping for a second opinion-or even several y'all. I'll worm him right away Thanks

To me, his BCS is a good deal less now, or am I over concerned? I curried him & wormed, also Probios today (curried just for luv'in)no temp-runny nose,chews a cud...just losing weight on good grass.

[/img]
1FeltonsLad05.jpg

May07-1.jpg
[/img]

Give him a shot of Ivermectin. I n about a week I bet he'll start back gaining. Or it is time for the sale barn.

He's wearing less "cover" than in the first pic as a 2 y/o, yes. If worming doesn't turn him around or at least stop the weight loss... I've seen cows that bounced back, but the number that recover and you're glad you held onto, tend to be less than the number that don't recover and you either sell as a bag of bones or bury.

judging by his coat he doesn't look wormy to me, but Ivomec wouldn't hurt either.

Sulfa based antibiotics are very effective for coccidioses, I use Disulfox, personally I would rather give him Rumix over a bit of feed for about 4 days and see if this improves his apetite. It will also help the rumen adapt to the spring flush. Feeding a bit of good quality alfalfa hay will also help firm up his stomach. I would suggest lower proteien hay as the ideal, but doubt whether he would eat it when on green grass.

Please ask if you need more help.

I would also make dry hay available to him. Keep good blocks out for him as well.I love the Super R block that Purina makes.

Latest posts