Deckover Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I'm looking into replacing my car hauler with a tilting trailer and am considering a deckover trailer. I'm curious if anyone is using one? I love the idea of no fenders to get in your way, but is the additional height a worry for hauling equipment? Mine would be primarily used for hauling my tractor and implements, or round bales.

Brute 23":e3swco1p said:
Are the big tilt trailers like that dependable? Seems like more chances for stuff to not work or rattle or some thing. What is the benefit of a tilt vs just using ramps?

The only real advantage I can see to a tilt trailer is hauling tracked equipment. It eliminates the pucker factor of breaking over the hump on a ramped trailer.

i took it to mean he had car trailer that tilts . I can see no negatives with the hydraulic tilt on a deckover besides having a dead battery when you really need the trailer and the extra upfront cost

I'm getting tired of wrestling with heavy ramps. I still may go that route though. I'm finding tilts are heavier and I'm pulling with a 1/2 ton.

Brute 23":1kw3sx0y said:
Are the big tilt trailers like that dependable? Seems like more chances for stuff to not work or rattle or some thing. What is the benefit of a tilt vs just using ramps?

Ramps are a pain to put it bluntly. They're heavy, rattle and bang, have to adjust them constantly for different track widths, and there's the chance that they will come loose going down the road.

And if you're loading something heavy and don't have a rear jack system the trailer squats like crazy and will lift up the rear of the pickup, can get hairy if you're loading on a hill and forget to put the truck in 4x4.

A neighbor has one to haul his mini excavator. It's slick as can be, but I think you could only justify the expense and weight if you're loading equipment several times a week like he is.

neighbor has a 32' with tilt. I think the back 10' or so tilts. It'll lift his skid steer up sitting on the tilt. it's a nice trailer, but you aren't pulling one with a 1/2 ton.

True Grit Farms":3ldvyesa said:
Ramps give me the capacity to carry 3 more rolls of hay and lock the rest of the load in tight.

I'm guessing your ramps are attached and upright going down the road? My only complaint with those is that I sometimes move my chopper attached to the tractor and it hangs off the back of my trailer a bit and the ramps wouldn't allow for that. And I don't want anything greater than 20'.

NonTypicalCPA":1lpawdj8 said:
True Grit Farms":1lpawdj8 said:
Ramps give me the capacity to carry 3 more rolls of hay and lock the rest of the load in tight.

I'm guessing your ramps are attached and upright going down the road? My only complaint with those is that I sometimes move my chopper attached to the tractor and it hangs off the back of my trailer a bit and the ramps wouldn't allow for that. And I don't want anything greater than 20'.

What size tractor and chopper? Sounds like a pretty good load on a 1/2 ton. Usually if I have some thing like a shredder that hangs on to the dove tail I just fold the ramp up on top the wheels and tie them off with a rope or strap.

I can see the extra weight (and cost) of the tilt being a deal killer.

I pulled a triple axle this weekend and I liked it. Didn't feel near the weight on the rear of the truck. Some one had mentioned that before so I was eager to give it a shot. Might be some thing worth looking at with the 1/2 ton.

NonTypicalCPA":36bk1u5b said:
Just a 40hp Kubota with FEL and 6' chopper. I only go about 20 miles max with this load.

What is your current trailer?

Seems like a 18-20' GN car hauler type or just regular low boy with 2 axles would be perfect for that and real handy to have around the place.

The deck over is nice if you need the width but it also raises your weight up pretty high in the air. That's a definite "con" behind a 1/2 ton.

I think you will be disappointed with the performance of a deckover behind a half ton truck. I have a tri axle that has a pintle hitch and empty or loaded it will start to sway at anything over 55. I would say try pulling it before buying it and definitely don't go pintle hitch, I've been told that is why mine sways.

fwiw. I wouldn't even try mine with a half ton, I've had a it pull my one ton single wheel rear end truck around.

For the OP, Look at aluminum ramps. I have a pair that came off a trucker getting out of the business. These are 11' long and light weight, I believe rated 10k for the pair. Aluminum ramps are the bomb

saltbranch":270ncd67 said:
For the OP, Look at aluminum ramps. I have a pair that came off a trucker getting out of the business. These are 11' long and light weight, I believe rated 10k for the pair. Aluminum ramps are the bomb

That's a great idea. I'll see what's out there.

I have a deckover with spring assist ramps. They rattle and bang but no big deal - especially given the cost of alternatives. I paid $3000 with new tires, oil bath axles and solid deck.

Not sure how any hobby farmer can afford more than than for as little use as they get.