Decker vs Sawbuck

Help Support CattleToday:

cowspider

Reaction score
Any one have any idea if one is really better than the other for mountain packing??? I am looking to buy a packsaddle soon.
and how about bags vs hard panniers??

I packed and guided for several outfitters and I'll take the sawbucks over Deckers any day. Their just easier and faster to load especially if you're doing it alone.

There is no ones better then the other as far as canvas or hard panniers go. It depends on what you're putting in them. I usually put food and things that need to be protected from the elements in hard panniers. Bulky stuff like feed has to go in canvas. I usually put bedrolls and tents on top. The most important thing is to balance the load.

Tips

Your panniers have to weigh within a pound of one another. Buy a scale and use it. If one is heavier then the other it will pull the packsaddle to that side and very probably gall your pack animal's back. If one panniers is heavier move stuff around until it's balanced. DON'T THROW A ROCK IT THE LIGHT ONE and yea I've seen people do that.

Dead weight (a pack load) is harder for an animal to carry then live weight (a person). The general rule of thumb is 15% of the animals weight if you're packing every day. 20% max if it's one day into camp, stay there several days and then one day out. You can add 1 0r 2% over that on mules that are in working condition. And remember that the higher altitudes are just as hard on animals as it is on humans. Go slow and rest often especially on long uphill pulls.

Be sure your pack saddles fit properly. When you get your saddles take a sponge and slightly dampen your pack animals back. cover the area with talcum powder and very carefully place the pack saddle straight down on it and then lift it straight back up. Note where the powder sticks to the saddle and plane that area down and repeat the procedure until the powder sticks evenly to the whole bottom of the saddle. use that pack saddle only on that animal. Go ahead and spend the money on saddle pads that are designed for packing. They hang down further on the sides and protect the animal from the panniers rubbing against them.

When you are leading more the one animal take a piece of 200# nylon cord about 2 1/2 times the length of the saddle and tie the ends together. Loop it over the front cross and run it under the saddle. Tie the lead rope of the following animal to it not the saddle. If you have problems the cord will break and save you from a major train wreck.

Conformation is important in picking which animals to pack. I like an animal that is 14-14.2 hands with short straight pasterns. Heavy bone and with a good set of withers. You don't have to hang a 75-80# pannier on a 16 hh horse very many times to figure out shorter is better.

If you a packing into the national forest be sure to check the regs on the type of feed you can carry in. Hay and grain type feeds have been banned in many areas and only pelletized feed is allowed. The reason is to prevent the incursion of non-native plants. Check before you go and be prepared in advance. That includes converting your animals over if they aren't already on pellets. Also check on bans on open fires. You may have to pack a camp stove and the fuel for it.

If you're and/or your animals are new to packing practice at home before you go. That means a complete pack and load out multiple times. Make a list of what you are going to have to have and go over it 50 times. There ain't no Wallyworlds where you're going. And tell your wife to leave her hair dryer at home. There ain't no currant bushes up there either. And yea I've seen that one to.Z

Thanks, Z, great Info. I will probily get sawbuck saddles. I have one packhorse now and hope to have two more in training soon. Thanks for the help.

:cboy: :cboy:

Latest posts