Decision

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have a three yo Heifer that has been exposed to the Bull 24/7 for two years and no Calves? Not a free martini, her full sisters have Calved.
I talked to our Vet and he told me to ship her asap because some Heifers just will not re-produce. She is fat and very healthy so I should get a good price for her. When I take her to the sale barn should I tell them she will not re-produce, sell her for slaughter, or say nothing. I am honest and do not want to take advantage of anyone.

Drive in, tag, fill out paperwork, and drive off. She will most likely go to slaughter anyway as prices are high enough that most aren't buying to take back to the farm.

kerley":j8o67s3l said:
I have a three yo Heifer that has been exposed to the Bull 24/7 for two years and no Calves? Not a free martini, her full sisters have Calved.
I talked to our Vet and he told me to ship her asap because some Heifers just will not re-produce. She is fat and very healthy so I should get a good price for her. When I take her to the sale barn should I tell them she will not re-produce, sell her for slaughter, or say nothing. I am honest and do not want to take advantage of anyone.

Did she ever come in heat that you observed?

Jbonnot03":1lsplp14 said:
Drive in, tag, fill out paperwork, and drive off. She will most likely go to slaughter anyway as prices are high enough that most aren't buying to take back to the farm.

Exactly. Somebody who pays today's prices for open heifers to go on and breed them is short a few marbles. Too much money to be sitting on for too long a time.

A healthy fat 3 year old heifer will look the part and anyone with a lick of cow sense will not be buying her to breed.

I'm not sure how other barns across the country work, but at our local sale it doesn't matter what you tell them, other than if she was bred. Here, you would drop here off, tell the office girl you're dropping off one cow, and she would get put in with all the other cows and sold by the pound. I'd guess 95% of them are bought by the order buyers and go to slaughter. Anyone is welcome to buy one for their farm, but it's buyer beware. They sell a lot of cattle, so the only information displayed is the owner and weight. 10 seconds later she's out the door and the next one is coming in.

I have the same problem, but 4 months shy of 3 yrs. Just won't take...AI'ed, live cover with bull since for about 18 months, blood tested her once...nothing, take her to vet...vet says everything seems fine, gave her a shot..bull did his business, thought she was bred (at least looking the part), last weekend saw her jumping other cows, vet palpated and nothing..took ear tags out and going to sale barn tomorrow.

Very gentle heifer, good bloodlines, etc, etc..

Arond here open 3 year old and up at the barn might mean trich.
There would be very few if any takers for back to the farm.

You guys sure do manage your cows different than we do. We palpate twice a year and know who's pregnant and how far along. In 30 years I've had one heifer go 25 months before calving. If their not bred by the time their 12-16 months old they go to town. Dang sure not going to feed a cull through the winter.

You can tell them whatever your conscious dictates, but most of us understand, when we load one on our trailer to take back home, it's ours--good bad or ugly.
Even if you tell them, I doubt the auctioneer will say anything but maybe that she's open and then whatever the first bid starts at.

Nobody will buy a three year old open heifer to take home drop her off and dont think twice about it. If someone is dumb enough to take it home I dought there smart enough to listen anyway.

M.Magis":32h0psb1 said:
I'm not sure how other barns across the country work, but at our local sale it doesn't matter what you tell them, other than if she was bred. Here, you would drop here off, tell the office girl you're dropping off one cow, and she would get put in with all the other cows and sold by the pound. I'd guess 95% of them are bought by the order buyers and go to slaughter. Anyone is welcome to buy one for their farm, but it's buyer beware. They sell a lot of cattle, so the only information displayed is the owner and weight. 10 seconds later she's out the door and the next one is coming in.
same here, don't care if your mother Teresa..their gonna sell her for all they can get.. They work off commission...

kerley":1x7dx3zj said:

kerley-

There are several so-called "Primary" factors which should be considered in the operation of a beef cattle enterprise - one of which is PROFIT. A primary factor in achieving PROFIT is Fertility. Without fertility one's PROFIT will suffer and disappear - sometimes to the point of one going bankrupt. In order to avoid bankruptcy it is imperative that one maximize efficiency in breeding protocols. A very major factor in the selection of breeding females is knowing the Accuracies of the ancestral records of an individual heifer one is considering adding to their breeding herd. These very factors puts the responsibility of acquiring a heifer to use as a breeder on the buyer.

However - the above paragraph covers the "Business" portion of a transaction. It does not take into account one's spirituality in conducting a business transaction - that is to "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You". That has to come from your heart and your conscience.

DOC HARRIS

If you sell her as open.. you ought to be able to tell that she's got no udder so she's never had a calf... If someone figures a 3 year old open heifer is worth taking a gamble on, well, stupidity ought to have a price too.

Latest posts