Decent Used Truck for $20,000?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Been driving a Titan because I couldnt afford a Tundra 7 years ago when I bought it. Transmission went out at 200,000 miles this week. Seriously thinking about getting another truck then putting $2200 into a 1o year old beat up truck. I figure hauling cattle and hay trailers put enough stress on my transmission. Never been much of a Ford man. Any recomendations on what kind of truck to look for that hauls a good load and can handle the strain of heavy work loads.

I've heard really good things about the new Titan Diesel.. but that's a little more than 20K new... Also heard good things about the Ram 1500's both in the Hemi and the diesel versions.. On the diesels I'd care to drive I don't think I'd be able to spend 20K, it would probably be more like 5-10K and then some work into it to make it good.. y'all know I like my old Dodges

BK9954":1j2yanlq said:
Been driving a Titan because I couldnt afford a Tundra 7 years ago when I bought it. Transmission went out at 200,000 miles this week. Seriously thinking about getting another truck then putting $2200 into a 1o year old beat up truck. I figure hauling cattle and hay trailers put enough stress on my transmission. Never been much of a Ford man. Any recomendations on what kind of truck to look for that hauls a good load and can handle the strain of heavy work loads.
You could get any of the big three diesel brands up to about 06 for $20k, they should treat you right if you maintain them. I would avoid the 6.0 Ford. At 200,000 miles I would say the Titan did you a good job. I would just about keep it for a daily driver and leave the diesel parked. Then again I wouldn't own a diesel if it didn't stay hooked to a trailer towing over 10k lbs :2cents:

I was looking for the same thing. I can't afford what I need new. I needed a ¾ ton, 4wd, extended cab, under $20k, and under 100k miles. That last part was the toughest thing to find. Most trucks in my price range were over 150k miles. I did finally find an '07 Chevy 2500HD Z71, leather, 95k miles, for about $19k. It's in immaculate shape, for now. I drove the wheels off my Chevy ½ ton, hopefully this one does as well. I spent a lot of time searching web sites, just to get an idea of what was out there and for what price. Autotrader was the best source of info for this area.