decent heifers/decent deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen worse sell for more than that.
I don;t know what the market is like right now, that may be just a tick high for current times. But they still look to be worth a shot!

Thanks Dun and Aaron! They looked fairly decent to my beginner's eye.
Our prices in this area are all over the map right now. Just saw a 2 yr-old Holstein bull listed for a grand. Surely he's worth more than that in beef....Then saw newborn Holstein calves for 400.

If you need docile animals, these seem to fit the bill.. stanchion trained, halter breaking probably wouldn't be a crazy ordeal... They don't sound like freaks, and the look alright to me too

Wish we weren't so short on pasture. Hay costs are killing us until we get some grass improvements made

Aaron":1hbfskif said:
For that price, I'd roll the dice on them.

Saw a pair of herf heifers sell Saturday for $1,450 each, and I did not like them as much as these two.
Single odd bred heifers were about $1,150 each.
+1

I paid $1,000/per for LimoXAngus Heifers and $1,500/per cow/calf pair locally. Cows were 3-5 years old and already a few months bred.

Might not represent market. Thought was a great deal myself. This was in November/December…

EDIT: Cow/Calf pairs were very mixed breed. Smallish cows...

boondocks":yuellamy said:
I will preface this by saying I'm not buying these, just trying to learn (we have Angus; I'm a little familiar with Herefords). To my eye, these don't look too bad for the price, but would love comments:

http://utica.craigslist.org/grd/5458138988.html
I would buy everyone of them if I wasn't scared they would melt in my heat and on my
grass.

Two years ago, I bought 4 Hereford heifers from a Craigslist add. They were thin and small for their age, but have grown out and raised good calves. I bought them for $1000 each, at the time, I thought it was a little higher than they would bring at the market, but I figured with a good wormin' and a little feed they would come on out.

Well it's a good thing they apparently sold quickly (ad is down) or y'all would've had me goin' over to take a look at them, although I don't really have room for them. Looks like somebody else thought it was a fair deal too.

Thanks for all the input, that's how us newbies learn :tiphat:

Latest posts