dead steer

Help Support CattleToday:

MarkM

Reaction score
Ok, so I got the pinkeye problem of last week handled and now I have another opportunity for personal growth.

My animals are moved daily and checked one other time each day. Saturday morning I moved them to a new paddock. Everyone was fine, no lagging animals or any signs that were a cause for concern. Saturday evening my guy onsite called and said that one of our steers was dead (8cwt angus). No external signs, no swelling, nothing in it's mouth. Just dead.

My first concern was Johnson grass as there was some in the new paddock. However, there has been varying amounts of it in each paddock for the last week. The conditions don't seem right, from what I have read, and none of the other 55 animals were affected.

Unfortunately, I am rattled. There are clumps of Johnson grass ahead in our moves. Part of me says it wasn't the JG, but a part of me is concerned that it could have been. I had my guy move a few animals in to the new paddock today as a test and he hasn't called - I'll take that as a good sign.

Thoughts? Some parts of the learning curve seem really steep. I have read the posts on here regarding JG and the views vary greatly.

What was the body position of the steer when found? And what did the surrounding area look like around the animal (hills, trees, valleys, did it look like the animal struggled in that spot or near that spot, etc.)?

Has the herd all been running together or did you just blend some in? Have they established who the boss in the pack is or were they still playing head butt matches to determine who the boss is?

Rattlesnakes are bad this year in CA... I don't think one could take down a 8cwt steer though.

Could be an absolute fluke deal with a genetic disorder (bad lungs, bad heart, liver, etc. etc.)

I will ask my guy tonight about the position/signs of struggle when he found the body. Good question.

No additions for 3 months. Pecking order seemed to be worked out.

I was thinking -- how well do you know your "guy"... an 8cwt steer could bring a pretty penny or fill someone's freezers these days... but that's just the paranoia, cynicism, etc. etc. in me

DavisBeefmasters":2ter1zaa said:
I was thinking -- how well do you know your "guy"... an 8cwt steer could bring a pretty penny or fill someone's freezers these days... but that's just the paranoia, cynicism, etc. etc. in me
:nod: It's pretty standard procedure on some ranches that when you deal with employees you have them cut the brand or an ear (if they're marked) off and hold it in the freezer until the end of the season. Otherwise an absentee owner is just out there flapping hoping everyone plays by the rules.