dead cow

Help Support CattleToday:

jerry27150

Reaction score
neighbor says he had a cow that was fine yesterday & this morning she was dead & bloated so bad her eyes were about to pop out. then when he moved her her eyes did pop out. any ideas what it was

How old was the cow and what were the surroundings of the cow? We need more information than just dead and pooped out eyes. Was there any lightning around your area that may have struck a tree the cow was under? How close was she to calving? Maybe the calf was dead inside of her for a while and infected the cow.... Other than having more information I can not explain of anything else.

don't know what else i can tell you kevin. guy runs 250-300 cows,they are just starting to pick a little grass with hay. don't know how old she was. he nor i had ever seen one blow up that fast in spring time. he claims she also was making gasey sounds out the other end while dead. he didn't touch her cause he said she smelled to bad. i wondered about blackleg. we are down stream from psf's hog farms. thousands of those in this area. no lightning or anything else. can't think of anything else to tell you, just that she blowed up so fast & so much