Dead Cow Walking, I need Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

That's great news Keren, link works for you. Let's have a throwdown celebration. Broke for me. I'm not going back and doctor on it till it works. What's your point?

wow, ga.prime, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I didnt have a 'point' ... was just saying that I was confused (see the smiley?) cos the link worked for me and didnt for you ... just thought it was odd

Sorry, Keren. I took it the wrong way. That frowny face with the question marks over his head has bad connotations for me. Forgive my jumping to the wrong conclusion? :D

dunno.gif

does this one suit you better? lol its okay, we all have our moments

Ok, so what exactly is this disease that everyone is talking about? I haven`t found a very good discription on it? I really think that it is a problem with this single cow. Like a diet problem, all the others act fine and my uncle would have done something about it if it was a huge herd killing thing. I don`t know the age of the cow, I know nothing about them, I was just wondering if anyone had, had a situation like this. The vet is coming and he thinks it is just a single occurance and nothing to worry about. Just a curiosity of a medical student trying to learn about another species.

regolith, isn't it true now that you have had a confirmed case on your farm that the Johnes disease organisms are in the ground there and will be viable for years into the future and may or may not infect any ruminant animal with the disease by way of grazing at any time?

I honestly don't know. I've asked my vets about the means of spread of Johne's because what research I'd done turned up nothing conclusive, and all they can tell me is that the calf is infected at some time less than six months old. I did find a website once with guidelines for clearing/keeping your herd clean of Johne's that were so close to impossible you'd think every-one would be vaccinating. Maternal transmission is presumed, colostrum possible, faecal/mouth transmission to susceptible calves is likely.
I doubt the shed virus is infective for years into the future because most viruses just don't work that way - light or dessication destroys them.
What I do know is that the vet told me after those two that I might see one or two a year from that group of cows. There's been another since.

regolith":12r2tgbx said:
regolith, isn't it true now that you have had a confirmed case on your farm that the Johnes disease organisms are in the ground there and will be viable for years into the future and may or may not infect any ruminant animal with the disease by way of grazing at any time?
I doubt the shed virus is infective for years into the future because most viruses just don't work that way - light or dessication destroys them.
That's reassuring and I hope you're right. I had a cow here a few years ago that got really thin, not from lack of feed, and I suspect she may have had Johnes, but of couse it could have been something else. She went to the sale barn after she starved her calf. Since then I haven't had any others with the symptoms associated with Johnes.

ga. prime":2zdd3e3j said:
regolith":2zdd3e3j said:
That's reassuring and I hope you're right. I had a cow here a few years ago that got really thin, not from lack of feed, and I suspect she may have had Johnes, but of couse it could have been something else. She went to the sale barn after she starved her calf. Since then I haven't had any others with the symptoms associated with Johnes.

Clarification -- the Johnes pathogen is a bacteria, not a virus. It is very hardy and can survive up to ~18 months in the soil. Check http://www.johnes.org for more information.

"I honestly don't know. I've asked my vets about the means of spread of Johne's because what research I'd done turned up nothing conclusive, and all they can tell me is that the calf is infected at some time less than six months old. I did find a website once with guidelines for clearing/keeping your herd clean of Johne's that were so close to impossible you'd think every-one would be vaccinating. Maternal transmission is presumed, colostrum possible, faecal/mouth transmission to susceptible calves is likely.
What I do know is that the vet told me after those two that I might see one or two a year from that group of cows. There's been another since.
We've been told calves up to 6 mths can catch Johnes if careful practice isn't used the bacteria can last in the paddocks for 3 yrs (has been downgraded now to 18mths) & the only viable option for using a paddock with Johnes is to rear steers & send them straight to slaughter. We rear our calves using the JDCAP program - although it's not reconised in NSW once started it is very easy to continue, we've been very lucky as we have never had a case although I did work for a dairy farmer that had a MN3 herd, who had a cow test positive & it wiped out the entire family line going back & forwards generations.

sharky19":hmlo4uwg said:
Ok, so what exactly is this disease that everyone is talking about? I haven`t found a very good discription on it? I really think that it is a problem with this single cow. Like a diet problem, all the others act fine and my uncle would have done something about it if it was a huge herd killing thing. I don`t know the age of the cow, I know nothing about them, I was just wondering if anyone had, had a situation like this. The vet is coming and he thinks it is just a single occurance and nothing to worry about. Just a curiosity of a medical student trying to learn about another species.

my post a while back, diet/age combination was my guess. Good luck, the board could use you coming back and saying what the vet found out.

mnmtranching":1ri0wnqo said:
I think that "call the Vet" is a good response, must be. You hear that on CT more often then any other response. But, the "call the Vet" is the same as "I don't know" So why aren't there more responses "I don't know" :???:
I would have taken care of the cow at first signs of illness. Probably an antibiotic, maybe a magnet, depending on symptoms.
But I can't see the cow so I don't know. :compute:
If she isn't feverish and getting around she could go for kill.
As far as some contagious, wipe out you entire herd disease. I haven't seen it so I don't worry about stuff like that.
"call the Vet" I wouldn't, I would have handled it myself.
That all being said. I agree. "Call the Vet" :cowboy:

Here we go again. I wouldn't call the vet that is for sure. Segregate the animal from the entire herd. Hem her up in the corral and have the nurse take a blood sample. Next day (air?) the sample to a lab located on the internet but ask labe for container shipping instructions. Have the lab call you when testing is complete. Report back here for next step with test results, say three days max? This should cost you less than $20.

Since this thread has mentioned Johnnes, I did a google search on hydrogen peroxide and tuberculosis......... came up with many pages, but what I found interesting is that hydrogen peroxide kills this. Here's two links: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi ... ne.0005150 and http://journal.shouxi.net/html/qikan/jc ... 55854.html

Now, one would need to search out how much to give, but I'm convinced this stuff works. It prevents scours in calves (I've tried it) and I've added it to calf milk (colostrum is loaded with hydrogen peroxide so by adding hydrogen peroxide you are making colostrum).

Just some thoughts to add to the pages here.

Here's an even better link with lots of testing of h202 used as a bioeffective deterrent: http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf ... images=yes (I hope that link works as I use Firefox and had it opened as a html instead of pdf.)

Sharky, it would sure help the speculation if you could give more information.

First of all, what kind of cattle and operation are we talking about? Breed? On range, pasture, confined? What kind of feed? Ask your uncle how old the cow is.

I suspect the risk of Johnes is much less on cow on range than in confinement or pasture. Sounds like they are in remote area.

sharky19":3jeh940i said:

Cows with Johnes have very bad diarrhea, and it has a very unique smell. Blood test is the diagnosis for that disease.

Licking salt, not eating grain, makes me wonder if its not a twisted stomach, and or another stomach issue.

GMN

Could a cow with a twisted stomach live for several MONTHS???
Cow can get Johnes as a calf and never show any sign of it for years (but passing on the bacteria). Generally, it only shows up after a stress. Like a first calf heifer calving. That is usually the first time Johnes will show up. And, if it's a herd with good management, it may be a light case & she "clears' up & acts & performs fine. But, she still has it & is still passing it on. They are NEVER cured.
Since this cow has been degrading for months, Johnes is a strong possibility. They ususally starve to death - or more precise, get so weak they get respiratory problems & die.

Latest posts