dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ny_grass

Reaction score
We lost a goat yesterday (mom rejected it) and now one of my calves is getting stiff in the middle of the paddock.

This was a female that was born on April 15; I bought her mama (along with 5 other bred cows) from Vermont and brought them home last Saturday (4/26/08). We had rain and some cold weather for the last couple of days (though by "cold" I mean that it may have gotten down to about freezing last night, the other nights it never got below 38; but it was pretty wet).

So, what's the likely cause? I'd imagine that she might have picked up pneumonia on the 3 hour trip from VT. I noticed yesterday that she was looking pretty skinny and, now that I think of if, I don't recall having seen her nurse. Was it the wet weather? Just the stress of the trip?

If I'm not mistaken the guy I bought them from doesn't give them anything until they're about 3 weeks old, then he recommended "Bovi-Shield Gold." I believe I've read that people on this board give them shots shortly after birth?

I'm going to sell all my beef as natural, grass-fed so I'm going to try and give as little medication to them as I can but, of course, a medicated living calf is better than the alternative.

What would you guys and gals recommend that I do for the one remaining calf I have? He seems to be very active and gaining weight (though he sure does sleep alot). And, any day now the other cows should be calving ...

Oh, this is probably obvious, but should I just bury the calf? Or call one of those downer cow outfits?

Thanks a bunch,
JR

As far as vaccines go... I don't give anything until 2-3 months of age. Before that, maternal antibodies from passive transfer (read that as, 'colostrum that calves received') interfer with building immunity to vaccines. In other words, you'd be wasting your money to vaccinate those calves right after birth.

Also... vaccines are not medication. There's no problem with marketing vaccinated animals as "natural". Even organic regulations permit vaccination. Medication would be along the lines of antibiotics.

I haven't called the vet. I didn't know I had an issue ;-(

In fact, I don't even have a vet. Better get one, I guess ;-)

I guess I didn't read this well enough but your calf is already dead? No point in calling the vet for that one unless you want to have some idea what killed it.

Probably not a bad idea to get aquanted with the vet in your area anyway. It would be nice to have him in your pocket so that when you need him at 4 am you can pick up the phone and say Bill, get your butt out here, I need some help. :)

Sorry you lost your calf.

So now that the mom doesn't have her calf nursing from her might I have an issue with mastitis? Perhaps the other calves might take the pressure off her?

It's not fun getting into cattle and immediately having a dead calf. And as good as this board is, it can not replace a good large animal vet visit and first hand evaluation.

I'd suggest you ask around area farmers to locate a good cattle vet and get him out to visit pronto. Their may be something he can do to prevent further problems and help you understand exactly what happened to the first.

You may come out the better for this difficult learning experience.

ny_grass":2lqe57v0 said:
So now that the mom doesn't have her calf nursing from her might I have an issue with mastitis?

Unlikely. She will probably simply dry up, and go about her business. It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on her, just in case, but beef breeds usually do not develop mastitis. That is usually a dairy breed issue.

Perhaps the other calves might take the pressure off her?

If she will allow other calves to nurse her, I sure wouldn't keep her because it brings into question her maternal qualities, usually requires special handling up until/following birth(due to the colostrum), and carries a fairly high potential of endangering her own calf because bigger calves will take most of the milk.

ny_grass":5zl5bs88 said:
So now that the mom doesn't have her calf nursing from her might I have an issue with mastitis? Perhaps the other calves might take the pressure off her?

Msscamp is right about the maternal on a cow that nurses everything in sight. We just lost a calf cuz one did that and let the yearlings suck out all her colostrum, We suspected it was going on and then she proved it. She is now employed by the Old Roy company. Dry her up. Ship her.

The cow will dry up on her own. Price won't be much different for kill if she's dried up or not. If you don't know the history of the cow, sell her. You may have purchased somebody else's problems. If the calf was healthy when you got it home, it caught something fast acting. I would give the live calf a couple bolus tablets as a precaution. Better then doctoring when/if it gets sick. Let us know how things go.

Thanks for all the advice; It's truly a godsend to be able to get good info from a group of deeply experienced folks such as yourselves ;-)

If I can clarify and summarize what several people said.

- It would be a good idea to give my remaining calf a couple of bolus tablets? I don't know what those are but I'll find out.
- If it's the case that the mother let's other calves nurse from her I should cull her. I don't have any knowledge of whether she is doing this (I just threw it out as a positive possibility for preventing mastitis). I don't believe people believe that I should cull her because her calf died. I mean, with a 6 cow herd, culling has to be somewhat limited ;-) (Or, perhaps, not: sell, get money, buy another ...)
- A vet would be worth the expense, to ensure that nothing is going on that might endanger the other calf or (gasp!!) the cows.

The other calf, btw, is gaining weight and, it appears, doing well ...

good luck to you. having a vet is a good idea. most vets have been trained by thier farmers, but the vet would most likely be more than happy to pass on what he has learned. i don't know if you have made contact with your extension office yet, but they can be quite helpful in alot of ways. you said somethin about goats. example ... extension office can give you lit on the ethnic calender that tells you when goats are in high demand. etc. they are sort of like a light house. if you havent gone there already, i would go an say howdy.

I hope you are not for real, but if you are, sell what you have and buy some weaned feeder calves, build a corral, with a headgate, find a vet, read a book or two on raising cattle, volunteer to help an established cattleman to gain experience and then when you know something, buy breeding animals. I see a lot of pain and death and suffering in the future for your animals, if you continue on as you are.

JR I am going to put this as nicely as possible- you sound like you know very little about cattle and you do not have a good vet. That is a very scary combination. You need to find a good vet and ask him about things like what kind of shots the cattle need for your area. He can also set you up on a good mineral program for what your area lacks. Vets are an expense that actually save you money if you find a good one.
Did you have any shelter for the animals? A stressful trip and then no shelter with freezing rain could be lethal to a young calf. Did you notice if the calf was lethargic, snotty nosed, breathing oddly, coughing, anything? Was there anything that made you think pneumonia? If she was skinny and you hadn't seen her drink she may have starved to death. Always pay attention when you get a new calf (born there or brought in) that the calf is sucking and looking nourished.
The shots that people give at birth are generally vitamin shots - A, D and E with Selenium. You want to be sure that you are not in a high selenium area however as Selenium is toxic in large doses. There is a greater chance of your soil and feed being deficient than too high however.
The best thing you can do for your calf is watch it closely. Watch for signs of sickness and if it looks sick call your new vet if you don't know what the cause is. Calves do sleep a lot when they are young.
As for the cow, I disagree on culling her. I've had cows that won't let another calf drink if theirs is alive (or are pregnant) but will if theirs dies. Those are perfect cows as they will take a twin if you have one for her. If she is that type that tries to steal a calf from a younger cow if that is the case seperate her for a few days until her milk dries up.
Mastitis is possible especially in old cows. It probably won't happen but keep an eye on her anyway.
When you are first learning about cattle you have to be even more diligent on watching them. Watch for normal herd behaviour and how to spot the abnormal. Expect to pay for your vet when it isn't necessary just because you didn't know better but don't get a vet that won't explain things and want to teach you. It's either that or expect to lose more than normal.
Hope the rest of your calving season is successful.