DDA Emblazon E31

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
An e-mail Diamond D sent out...Must be advertising for their upcoming sale-- but definitely a deep thick bull....

Now that is a forage tested bull....

A full brother to our DDA Emblazon 27C will sale at our Nov 12 sale.
Attached is a photo, his name is DDA Emblazon E3I.
He is very deep thick and masculine. He looks just like 27C at the same age.

Mark & Cathy DeBoo
Diamond D Angus
4092 Valier Dupuyer Rd.
Valier Mt. 59486

406-279-3633
406-799-3480 cell
[email protected]
http://www.diamonddangus.com

DDAEmblazonE3I-3376.jpg

Not startin fire's just discussion. I like the Emblazon bulls. But that to me seem's like a bull that walks a shorter distance for his feed and water than I do. I dont know there program; maybe you could tell more of it? Do you think this bull would be just as deep and thick if he were in a 100-200 acre pasture with 20 other bulls? Or does your comment on "forage tested" mean he look's like a bull on feed test? Certainly looks like he is on test. Looking for you opinion and others; would you by a bull on test with the same look as E31 over a bull fed for a tartget weight; that also show's depth and thickness but not to the same extent as a bull on test? I know phenotype has a big play and growth over moderation also plays a role. But phenotype can be fed in to a animal to a point and if your shooting for a target wieght then the phenotype should match the size. Or is it more choice of direction for the bull in your program? I would have a hard time seeing that bull hussle cow's and feed at the same time on a range setting and keep much conditon for the winter.

How can you draw any conclusions about what he's on when you don't see a feed bunk or bale feeder in front of him? Maybe he's getting nothing but hay and mineral and looks that good. If that's the case, I'd say he's EXACTLY the type I'd want to kick out in the hills, and EXACTLY the type I'd expect to cover cows and still come in fat. I have a Galloway bull built very much like him that's covered a group of cows for the past 65 days and is as fat now as he was when we turned him out August 10th.

TB-Herefords":1tfrmk4y said:
Not startin fire's just discussion. I like the Emblazon bulls. But that to me seem's like a bull that walks a shorter distance for his feed and water than I do. I dont know there program; maybe you could tell more of it? Do you think this bull would be just as deep and thick if he were in a 100-200 acre pasture with 20 other bulls? Or does your comment on "forage tested" mean he look's like a bull on feed test? Certainly looks like he is on test. Looking for you opinion and others; would you by a bull on test with the same look as E31 over a bull fed for a tartget weight; that also show's depth and thickness but not to the same extent as a bull on test? I know phenotype has a big play and growth over moderation also plays a role. But phenotype can be fed in to a animal to a point and if your shooting for a target wieght then the phenotype should match the size. Or is it more choice of direction for the bull in your program? I would have a hard time seeing that bull hussle cow's and feed at the same time on a range setting and keep much conditon for the winter.

Uh, I don't think that they feed any grain. That bull as far as I know was developed entirely on grass and hay. You are exactly backward in your assessment.

While he might work on the environment he's intended for, he's tight hearted, high flanked, cat hammed and crooked legged.

Yep-- Diamond D says they use no grain or silage, creep or any type of supplement....Just forage based grass and hay....
No forced lbs of grain to burn up the livers...
I have a neigbor that has used Diamond D bulls for years- and swears when he takes him out of his cows at the end of breeding season they look just like that for condition...

ollie?":7pv7yqao said:
While he might work on the environment he's intended for, he's tight hearted, high flanked, cat hammed and crooked legged.

Are you and I looking at the same bull? Tight in the heart girth - MAYBE - but cat-hammed and crooked legged? I see a round shape to his rump that goes right down to his hocks, hardly cat-hammed. As for his legs, they look fine to me, but it is only 1 pic from 1 angle.

purecountry":2t3k5e9c said:
ollie?":2t3k5e9c said:

Are you and I looking at the same bull? Tight in the heart girth - MAYBE - but cat-hammed and crooked legged? I see a round shape to his rump that goes right down to his hocks, hardly cat-hammed. As for his legs, they look fine to me, but it is only 1 pic from 1 angle.
Go compare him to his full brother. He's not the same type bull to me at all.

ollie?":3grtclks said:
purecountry":3grtclks said:
ollie?":3grtclks said:

I agree with you Ollie. My first impression was; tight in the heart girth and the loins as well.

ollie?":3f4jzyvs said:
purecountry":3f4jzyvs said:
ollie?":3f4jzyvs said:

The pic of his full brother was, I imagine taken at 3 or 4 years of age. One thing about those type cattle is that they appear shallow in the heart, due to being so deep in the flank. That will probably vanish in a year or two.

KMacGinley":3qb9vva7 said:
The pic of his full brother was, I imagine taken at 3 or 4 years of age. One thing about those type cattle is that they appear shallow in the heart, due to being so deep in the flank. That will probably vanish in a year or two.
As bulls get older, they don't all of a sudden get all the pieces put together nicely. They get rougher and more worn looking. He just doesn't float my boat. I like his brother. That's what makes a bull sale interesting, everyone sees them different.

I didn't say he was fed grain. I can feed a high protien alfalfa hay run through a bale processor with mineral and get great gains in a feed bunk; while my gains would differ outside a feed yard. He looks to be to be in a yard or corral to me. Maybe just for the picture. My assesment was he was a bull put on a forage test to see his max rate of gain. Question was what your opinion's were on bulls like this versus bulls in a pasture being fed to reach a target weight; and would this bull be the same if fed the such. Quality feed's dont have to be grain in order to have a huge gain. Not suggesting feeding low quality feeds.
Oldtimer I would have to see it myself befor I believed they done so good. But maybe they do, I will have to check out there program more.

Ya, that checking into things first before running off at the mouth tends to come in handy from time to time. :)

Why don't you email them for a copy of the dvd the bulls are all on to see their conditions for yourself.

ollie?":2vaepyss said:
KMacGinley":2vaepyss said:
As bulls get older, they don't all of a sudden get all the pieces put together nicely. They get rougher and more worn looking. He just doesn't float my boat. I like his brother. That's what makes a bull sale interesting, everyone sees them different.

Now that is an interesting statement. If you were intent on how things should look as a yearling and think that all cattle as yearlings are the complete picture of the potential of the animal you might be right. People that don't run their bulls with the cows year round and take care of them know exactly what I am talking about. And you are right, they don't fall into place suddenly. It takes years to get a true picture of what the bull is, both phenotypically and genetically. Most people use them up in two years and then buy another young bull.

I would venture to say you, like most others have changed a bit since high school in our physical appearance, some for the better, some, not so much. Bulls change in appearance as well and fill in or out.

Latest posts